S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 87 Blazer 2wd has 350/700r4 308 gears. I would like to out a posi traction unit in it but don't want to spend a lot because down the road I will probably but a better housing in the truck.

I'm told it should have a 7.5 rear end in it. What options is there ?

I came across a used unit out of a newer 90's Camaro with very low use are these the same ?

·
Registered
580 Posts
If it has the 87 rear it is a 7.5" 26 spline. The easiest and cheapest thing is to find a later 7.6 with factory gov-lock or keep looking until you find an 8.5". Don't waste money on the 7.5" 26 spline.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Any 2wd pickup or blazer, 28 spline was 89 up though there will be varying gear ratios. The code should be in the glove box G80 is the gov-lock. I think we have a sticky with gear ratio codes. Get the whole rear end, I believe 98 up are disc.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Actually, I wasn't aware the pickups didn't get them, I've only had first gens until I bought a 2003 crew cab. No problem though the 2wd blazer rear end will bolt in, got one in my first gen.

·
Administrator
20,900 Posts
It should have a tag on the rear with all of the pertinent info. If not...count the teeth and do the math.

·
Been there Done it
6,339 Posts
Doesn't ford put the number of teeth on the ring gear like most vehicles? Like 41-11 for 3.73?
I suspect the 41? in the pic is part of that. Ford didn't offer a 41-10 (4.10 ratio).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I heard that they did I read that it was the two numbers after the letters and the next two letters. Which would be the 41.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
6 Participants
jayyk31
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing