S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`m new to this rearend thing, but my question is this what do i need to do to get a posi rearend will i have to change my gears and how much will all of this cost what are the best products for this type of project???:shrug: :shrug: :confused:

·
Registered
77 Posts
No you will not neccessarly have to change your gears out. I have an Eaton posi differential and it's really sweet. I bought it through Summit 1-800-230-3030 or www.summitracing.com (part number ETN-19599-010) for $439.95. You can also by a Zexel posi unit for $99 at SLP, www.slponline.com

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Okay, what is the difference between the eaton and the slp??? Why is the price so different. Also, how is it installed??? I've never pulled apart my rearend, and I could take it to a shop, but how much would that be and where would I take it? Also, how much would better gears be and how can I tell what I have now? Thanks,

DogP

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the help, it`s all starting to make sense to me now

·
Primer Spots
3,713 Posts
is that slp unit from that website a oem unit out of a F body car, that will just happen to fit sTrucks? The 99 dollar one? why is it so cheap?

·
WRX Style
368 Posts
Hey Grounded, i'm getting the Eaton posi-- I guess I could look it up myself, but which one do you have...?? I mean, limited slip, locking slip, clutch type,.........?? Is it very easy to install?? -- I hear labor is the main cost on the units... And also, how does the Eaton perform?? ... thanks...

·
Registered
77 Posts
It's limited slip, and it took about an hour and a half for me and a friend to install it. Yeah, the Eaton performs great, I could live without the wheel hoop, but I guess that is the price you have to pay for performance.

·
Registered
98 Posts
if i was to get the 4:10 gears of SLP.com and the zexel posi..will they both botl right up or do i need to make modifications? i currently have a 98 4.3 with 3.42 gears

·
Registered
369 Posts
If you're gonna change the gears, you need special tools to set the pinion depth and bearing preload. Way easier to just change the carrier to a zexel. Just curious, why do you want 4.10? 4.10 is crazy unless you have a 4 banger.

The zexel is cheap becuase it's used. They take them out of the SS cars after they add on the SLP goodies because they aren't as strong as an auburn or eaton unit. Should be way strong enough for a v6 truck.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
what does posi do...does it help out performance wise...or is it just for burnouts i dont understand?? Teach me:bowdown:

·
Resident Know-it-all
242 Posts
Hi absolutcain:

Positraction is a trade name for limited slip differential. A normal or "open" differential will transmit torque to the wheel with the least amount of traction - up to 100%. A limited slip differential is designed to always transmit some torque to both wheels no matter what. The most common type uses clutches to limit the slip of the wheels (thus, the name). A locking differential mechanically locks both rear wheels together when accelerating and unlocks when coasting. Most of them use a mechanical arrangement to do this automatically, though you can get an air activated locking differential (ARB).

Does it help? Of course! Most trucks are severely traction limited since the rear wheels have little weight on them. Using an open differential allows one wheel to break traction and then it gets 100% of the drive torque until traction is regained. A limited slip or locking differential sends torque to both wheels, so it is harder to break traction. The down side is that when you do break traction, it is with both rear wheels, so it is easier to loose control in a turn or on slick roads. My Cobra has this "problem".

Regards,
John.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts