S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright...ive got a 97 s10 5 spd ( X vin) with 3.08 gears with limited slip (one wheel spins all the time)

i wanna swap to 3.73 ( gt4 rpo code) gears and a posi so both of my wheels spin for better traction. i did alot of searching and still a bit confused on this. ive read that some s10's came with a zexel and eaton posi's stock. now how would i go about to figuring out which one came with what so i can take a look at a local junkyard. is there some kind of rpo code for each? what would be a better posi zexel or eaton?

mods done so far if that helps... djmotorsports intake w/ k&n, tb mod, custom downpine and y pipe, magnaflow cat, dynomax muffler, hurst short shifter

thanks

·
the youngest has been
4,358 Posts
CLowN said:
alright...ive got a 97 s10 5 spd ( X vin) with 3.08 gears with limited slip (one wheel spins all the time)

i wanna swap to 3.73 ( gt4 rpo code) gears and a posi so both of my wheels spin for better traction. i did alot of searching and still a bit confused on this. ive read that some s10's came with a zexel and eaton posi's stock. now how would i go about to figuring out which one came with what so i can take a look at a local junkyard. is there some kind of rpo code for each? what would be a better posi zexel or eaton?

mods done so far if that helps... djmotorsports intake w/ k&n, tb mod, custom downpine and y pipe, magnaflow cat, dynomax muffler, hurst short shifter

thanks
if only one wheel spins thenyou have an open diff not limited slip

the code for factory posi is g80, and im happy with mine so far

·
Unregistered User
3,591 Posts
If you have a limited slip you have an eaton "gov-lock" differential, its the only kinda that
came on s-series. Look in your glove comparment for a sticker with a bunch of nubmers
and letters on it. Look for the code g80 on the list (they are in alphabetical order). If you
have it, you truck came equiped with a eaton "gov-loc"

Zexel is made by torsen it never came in s-series trucks. People have been
getting them new/used from later model camaros(they came with it) and installing
them.

Eaton posi didnt come with s-series, like the zexel people installed them themselves

·
ZR2 Interceptor
662 Posts
Eaton Gov-Loks are NOT classified as "limited slip". The term "Posi" is short for "Positraction" and it refers to the trade name associated with Eaton's clutch pack limited slip differential. All GM trucks come standard with open differentials and can be optioned with the G80 Gov-Lok.

If you want to do it right the first time, BUY an aftermarket limited slip carrier and gears NEW and have a professional install it. If you want crap that you'll be fixing again, get a used junkyard housing.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how late is later model camaros? what would be a better aftermarket limitedslip for doughnuts and track? anyone know how much am i looking to pay for a professional installation of gears and carrier?

·
the youngest has been
4,358 Posts
CLowN said:
how late is later model camaros? what would be a better aftermarket limitedslip for doughnuts and track? anyone know how much am i looking to pay for a professional installation of gears and carrier?
4th gen 93 and up

·
Registered
27 Posts
johnpsu said:
If you have a limited slip you have an eaton "gov-lock" differential, its the only kinda that
came on s-series. Look in your glove comparment for a sticker with a bunch of nubmers
and letters on it. Look for the code g80 on the list (they are in alphabetical order). If you
have it, you truck came equiped with a eaton "gov-loc"

Zexel is made by torsen it never came in s-series trucks. People have been
getting them new/used from later model camaros(they came with it) and installing
them.

Eaton posi didnt come with s-series, like the zexel people installed them themselves
From what i understand 'limited slip' and 'posi' are the same thing they are just given the same name by different companies i.e. Ford, GM, Chrysler...., the G80 RPO code means that there is a locking differential in the rear of a GM, which is made by eaton, you can check their website for reassurance. It really depends on your specific needs on whether or not you would want to find a rear from a newer s-series or by one new (certain places in PA offer any type of rear for under 100 bux) but with an older one there is obviously some type of risk in gettin a used one.

·
Unregistered User
3,591 Posts
g80 is a code use by Gm to specify some type of locking or limited slip differential.
Not just used on trucks.. It doesnt specifically mean that you have the eaton gov-loc...
just that you have some type of locking or limited slip differential.

If you want to get technical about it, the gov-loc is neither a pure lsd, nor pure locking.
Its a governed locking, a combination of both.

look up there thread with the tear down of one....

or go here > http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/3243/index5.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts