S-10 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Oh Snap!
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright as a bunch of you know i'm in the process of work on 2 8.5 axles, I have one with a G80 posi and one that supposed to be open.

First off which posi units are cheap, cheap and require the least amount of work to put in (no gear adjustments...) and will hold 300-400hp easily?

I know some of you guys said you run eatons, what did you pay, where did you buy it, how hard to install, and does it mater if its got a posi or not?

And did you put in all new bearings etc etc, if so what did you pay for the install kit and where at again.. lol

Let me know, Thanks again everyone !

·
Oh Snap!
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also has anyone done the C clip elimination on there axle? if so did you have to mess with the axle shafts, what kit did you use and where did you get that from
lol alright thanks again !

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
I run an eaton HD unit in my 8.5", it was $370 total including the correct bearings and races for my specific year (99+ had slightly larger races/bearings 3.06 vs I think 2.89 for pre-99). Any unit you use that is replacing a factory G80, you are going to have to set it up properly with a dial indicator for the proper gear mesh and also the proper pinion depth.

I did not bother with c-clip eliminators, maybe if my truck was a track only truck I would have but I don't really see the need on a street truck, even at the power levels you are at.

·
Oh Snap!
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where did you get your posi at ? And you did have to reset the gears? The local shop i talked to said they usually don't have to mess with gear alignment putting in posi units just somthing about side to side alightment or somthing... But then again i just read it again and you said replacing factory posi, but the one i am most likley going to use is a 2000 with open diff and 3.42's so i dunno if that applies...

They wanted $200 to do the install and wanted 500 for a eaton HD, what is the eaton HD i don't see it listed anywhere.

Also which rear axle is beter? you mentioned somthing about bearings?

I have a 98 with posi and either high 70's low 80's miles on it, looks like brand new its freaking amazing looking

Or i have a 2000 with 42k on it and a open diff,

I haven't confirmed the 2000 has one yet but i don't think it is however the 98 said it had one by the vin number.

I am trying to figure out which one is beter before i sell one.

How hard was it to install the posi ?

And how is that posi, make noise when you turn or anything? Does it lock quick or have any kinda delay.... Just wondering how it performs..

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
I purchased mine from Toms Differential (www.tomsdifferential.com), the carrier is the first one on this page: http://www.tomsdifferentials.com/cat43.htm, the 30 spline is what you need regardless of which rearend you choose to use. You can see the note right in the description, 1999 and later rears have larger side bearings/races. As for which one to use, well if you use the 2000 rear you can get a powertrax limited slip and throw it in yourself without any special setup, don't even have to remove the original carrier I believe.

I had the eaton installed professionally, I tried tackling just a gear swap with the rearend in the truck before I bought the posi, it was a nightmare so I wanted it done properly. I think it cost me about $400 to have it all setup and installed, but it was worth it for me.

The rear makes no noise at all while cornering or any other time, I am very satisfied with it's performance as it locks up everytime when power is applied.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts