S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, on my 96, rwd, 4.3 posi doesn't kick in most of the time, it will usually kick in but has to be very high rev range and I get the usual embarrassing 1 wheel peel. I don't really know what to do about the rear end, install new clutches? what are your recommended rebuilt kits if that's the course of action I should take.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,729 Posts
The Gov-Loc isn't the best for burnouts. There are other LSD's out there that are a bit more stout than the Gov-Loc. That said, mine works fine and it's 23 years old. I don't drive it like I stole it either.

·
Lifelong S-10 Owner
530 Posts
I ran a Zexel out of a camaro in my S-10 truck rear axle. Much better than the factory. Or a PowerTrax 'lunchbox' locker works well in my son's 1994 ZR2 truck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The Gov-Loc isn't the best for burnouts. There are other LSD's out there that are a bit more stout than the Gov-Loc. That said, mine works fine and it's 23 years old. I don't drive it like I stole it either.
Im not really all that informed on the rear ends, difs and stuff but I can swap a Ford 8.8 in right?

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,729 Posts
I know there's the popular Ford 8.8 swap but I don't know super much about rear end swaps and I want to keep the stock rims I have on
What's your ultimate goal for your truck? Are you looking to put a rear end shredder in it?

·
Gears and Differentials
1,395 Posts
If your truck has the 7.6 rear end then you will probably end up breaking it if you are trying to out run Mustangs. The Governor Lock isn't going to survive repeated burnouts. A Torsen, Truetrac or Eaton Posi would work a lot better, but you will still probably break the ring & pinion.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If your truck has the 7.6 rear end then you will probably end up breaking it if you are trying to out run Mustangs. The Governor Lock isn't going to survive repeated burnouts. A Torsen, Truetrac or Eaton Posi would work a lot better, but you will still probably break the ring & pinion.
I'm pretty sure it's an 8.5, but I'll check later, currently we have some weird rain snowstorm with heavy winds.

·
Been there Done it
9,246 Posts
8.5 was only installed behind the vin W 4.3 5 speed from 98 up.
It was an optional in 95 to 97, usually on the SS, ZQ8 or 4wd.
Some 4.3 5 speeds had it, some not, those 3 years.
It was never offered as an orderable option.
Only trucks that always had it were ZR2's, which are wider.
They even had it behind the automatic.

Reactions: EZA

·
Been there Done it
9,246 Posts
Tell me about it. I have a scar on my head from one of those lugs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
8.5 was only installed behind the vin W 4.3 5 speed from 98 up.
It was an optional in 95 to 97, usually on the SS, ZQ8 or 4wd.
Some 4.3 5 speeds had it, some not, those 3 years.
It was never offered as an orderable option.
Only trucks that always had it were ZR2's, which are wider.
They even had it behind the automatic.
My stepdad has a junker 4.3 manual Sonoma, I don't know the year but I think it's from 2000, it's 4x4, but it's free which is great. I'm hoping its an 8.5, if it is would I have trouble with the stock rims I have on my truck?

·
Been there Done it
9,246 Posts
Probably not. I ran 2wd rims on my 94 4wd for years.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
My stepdad has a junker 4.3 manual Sonoma, I don't know the year but I think it's from 2000, it's 4x4, but it's free which is great. I'm hoping its an 8.5, if it is would I have trouble with the stock rims I have on my truck?
If it is an 8.5/8.6 please join the topic titled the same with more info.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts