S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This maybe a stupid question but I was wondering what do they do when they port and polish...I was planning on installing cams and rocker arms and people have been telling me that I won't be getting alot from just installing the cams and rocker arms...They told me to port and polish so now I want to know what they would have to do...How much do people usually charge?...How much horsepower will I gain roughly.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Would you rather buy a supercharger or do the cams, rocker arms and port & polish?

·
Registered
57 Posts
a port & polish is two parts.

1) Port = matching the opening of the intake manifold (or some other part) to what ever it is being hooked up to. It takes off any little ridge that might slot down air flow.

2) Polish = taking a small grinder (file or what ever it takes) to smooth out the inside. It will remove all the little bumps along the sides of the ports (for lake of a better word).

All in all. It will give you more air flow into the motor. As for as HP and TQ, I don't know. It will depend on what else you have done.

As for what you want to do...I think it would be easier to do the p&p before you were to install something like a super charger.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
If you go into a head shop and tell them you want a port and polish, they'll tell you there's so many degrees of work they can do for you. Usually when you get p&p, you get valve work and all other little stuff done, just because you got the heads there. Its all a matter of what you want to do with it but I wouldn't expect to pay less than $300 for a basic p&p job.

·
Working Hard at Life
877 Posts
Porting and Polishing is good.......but our vortec heads and intake already flow good #s....enoughf or more power. The limiting factor in out 4.3Ls is the conservative cam design. Want a good Power change...you will notice mroe from a cam then porting the votec heads....but add a larger cam with more lift and duration, the port and polish will add noticable power as well. Cam, port and polish, and installed....your looking at more like a grand now. Maybe one day for me, but not yet.

Nosh, how do you like those headers?

you already have just about every bolt on. I would just change the cam too if your getting internally now. will allow a lot mroe air flow.

Correct me if i am wrong....but our vortec heads flow so good, its hard to get a lot more flow from them. There is a book out on how and where to port the v-8s....im sure the same principle and locations work for the v6 vortec heads as well

btw, happy new year

(just as an example....a buddy of mine with a C5 covette pulled 280 HP at the wheels....after porting the heads, new cam (not sure the size) and headers he came JUST short of 400 HP at the wheels. Im guessing if u put a decent size cam in the 4.3L, as well has some head work & with the mods u listed, your looking at some good figures to the ground compared to stock.)

·
Registered
940 Posts
you can still get a food bit of flow out of the heads with porting, polishing is debaitable, you don t want the heads to smooth or the gas and air will not mix right, i had bill mach do my heads and they flow over 280 cfm at .550 lift on the intake i think stock is down around 240 ish for these heads. as far as hp and tq go is different from truck to truck, i know 98esten on the other forum just dynoed 238 rwhp and 286 i think rwtq with heads and cam and a reflash of the computer. stock the 4.3 dyno around 150 ish rwhp and prob around 210 rwtq it all various truck to truck.

·
Road Race/Auto X S10
3,828 Posts
You will be getting alot from the cam and rocker arms! The cam is going to make power at higher rpms allowing you to get more out of each gear. And the roller rocker arms are going to allow you to go to those higher rpms where the stock stamped rocker arms couldnt touch. Throwing in headwork is going to give you better results in the mid to upper rpm range. And if you ever run a charger you will get much better results. I recomend getting new lifters if your going to be in the engine. I chose the comp cams Pro Magnum Hydraulic Roller.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

·
Horsepower Fiend
151 Posts
Porting and Polishing is like the icing on the cake for your top end. If its done right you get it all. Great throttle response, smoother idle, more horsepower, and even better gas mileage if your foot isnt stuck on the floor. With my little 1.6L Honda motor i went from 30mpg on the freeway to 42mpg. I also gained 18hp to the wheels on the dyno. Better all around usable powerband. I know it should be more with the mini 5.7L

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will I have to reflash my computer when i install the cams and the rocker arms or would it be okay with the Hypertech Power Programmer III?

·
Registered
148 Posts
the real limiting factor is the intake manifold, alteast you can replace the cam.... you can't really do much to the manifold with out backyarding it or, god forbid, sticking a tb unit on it or a carb....

i've always been of the understanding that the heads flow better than the intake manifold, therefore the intake being the limiting factor. but i suppose that a cam with better lift and duration may help, questioning wether it's really the intake manifold thats the issue? or the cam? or... is it both??????

-hammer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts