S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
LIL RED ROCKET
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:cry:

I was doing a tune up replacing plugs, wires, cap, rotor.... after i broke my rotor while changing it..(broke screw head off)... pulled the dist. shaft out and tore it apart... now when i start it. it stumbles a little bit and now my fuel milage has gone to hell.... i was able to get about 200 on a half tank and now its like 130-140...

so now i am wounder how to time this thing... i don't see any timing marks on it anywhere

its a 99 Xteme 4.3L (w) auto. with 80,000 miles....

long story short...HELP:cry:

michael

·
Vortec 350 s10
840 Posts
Sounds like you might be a tooth retarded (timing) on the distributor....

The timing mark should be off to the left hand side near the top.just a little platic notch type deal coming out (or it might be a metal plate with two or three notches in it..cant remember)..and there should be a line going across the back part of the harmonic balancer ..those are the timing marks..

·
Clean N' Dark
1,921 Posts
Grab a timing gun and set the timing properly.

·
QuickerPICKerUPer
302 Posts
on the newer engines you cant turn the dist to change timing so you need to hit it dead on when you slide it in. what you need to do is.

Remove your dist. cap
Remove your fan shroud and fan
Since you dont really know where your timing is, remove your #1 spark plug. Have someone hold their finger over the hole while turning the engine clockwise until it blows out of the hole.
The notch on the balancer closest to that indicator on the plastic timing cover is your #1 mark and align that notch with the indicator.
Remove the distributor
Distributor out, you will see on the drive gear and the shaft are a few dots that will line up.
Mark on the top of the distributor housing where the Rotor is. This will help you when your going back in, this mark should be about a 1/2 inch counterclockwise of the indicator on the top of the distributor housing (labled with a 6, the other mark similar to is is labled 8, for V8)
Check the oil pump drive below the distributor gear for how it lines up, and take a screwdriver and turn the oil drive down in the Intake hole until it is in relation to how the distributor sits down in there.
Slide the distributor down there lined up rotor to the mark you made on the housing. It may take a few times to get the oil drive lined up.
That, to the best of my explaining is how you time a 96 up engine. If anyone dosent understand something I wrote I will try to explain better.

·
LIL RED ROCKET
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok... i guess i'm retarted or somthing... i still can't get this thing to work... still starts like sh*t... there is no efort when it starts...

so what is it... when it is to addvantced it takes a little to start...
and when it to retarted .... little or no effort to start....

or do i have them backwords.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts