S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to ressurect a friend's 1987 2.5L TBI that has been sitting for about 1 year (so I can buy it :cool: ). It had bad gas so I drained the tank, I put a new fuel filter in it, pulled and cleaned the injector, put a couple gallons of good gas in the tank and tried to start it. Fuel sprays out of the injector, but it is not enough to start the motor or keep it running. I can squirt gas into the TB to start it and keep it running (squirt, squirt). The spray pattern out of the injector is pretty good so it looks like I have a pressure problem. Is it possible that the fuel pump is weak but not dead? How about the regulator, are there issues there I should look into? Any help is appreciated.

Jared

·
Always in the Dirt
174 Posts
Could be the computer? TP sensor is wrong. MAP sensor. Could be anything! I'd start by clearing the codes and seeing where that leads. It's a long road ahead.

·
Muppet Baby Member
4,261 Posts
replace the injectors, fuel Pump, could even be spark related if its spraying but not keeping up

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. We replaced the fuel pump on Saturday and it runs great now. Ive never met a fuel pump that runs at low pressure. Most of the pumps I have run into just plain die. The strainer was hosed so it was probably jammed up with something Im guessing. The locking ring on the top of the tank was a real pain to get off. Then I ended up having to reuse it because NO ONE stocks them.

Thanks again!

Jared

1 - 4 of 4 Posts