S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you recommend for suspension bushings, stock, polyurethane and why? This will be for a 98 step side L33 auto trans. I've never had anything but the stock factory stuff, I've heard pro's and con's give me your opinion,

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
What will you be using the truck for? All out performance and handling at the tracker? Fun, comfortable, cruiser? Something else or in between? Lots of good options, but depends on your desires for the truck.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What will you be using the truck for? All out performance and handling at the tracker? Fun, comfortable, cruiser? Something else or in between? Lots of good options, but depends on your desires for the truck.
The truck won't be seeing the track, a drive anywhere truck with an emphasis on performance and handling, I have a
S10 crew cab for towing my boat etc.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
For most people I believe rubber factory bushings are the way to go. Most of the slop comes from worn out bushings. My street performance setup I had on my hombre I used rubber as it was also my go anywhere truck and parts hauler, but it still handled and stuck the turns great.

I've skipped over the poly bushings, but know some have had good success with them using lots of grease. My personal take is they're good like that for sway bars, but better options are out there for all out performance and they don't really provide great cushion.

My uppers control arms use metal on metal bushings with a zerk fitting to keep them lubricated. My lowers have delrin. They move very freely, which I think helps with the ride, but the wrong road imperfections can feel very harsh, which is why I suggest them for more extreme setups.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just gave the suspension a good look over and it appears it's had the the front suspension rebuilt, tie rods, ball joints etc. even the shocks. I'm swapping the sway bars for ZQ8's so I'll go with poly's on them.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I use poly on everything I have since 1989

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Checked the Moog site, they list two different materials for sway bar bushings: rubber, thermoplastic; It looks like the thermoplastic might be a good compromise between the softness of rubber and the harshness of urethane and the thermoplastic require no grease.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Sway bar bushings don't really transmit a ton of road noise as in they don't affect the ride. I go with thermoplastic or poly on all my builds there.

·
LS3 Cruisin'
1,891 Posts
Harley gives a good run down. I use poly frame bushings thickly coated with blue moly marine grease, no squeaks at all. My upper and lowers are delrin, with zerks and the same grease. Although delrin is self lubricating, I like the grease for keeping dirt and water out of the bushing so that the shaft is not corroded over time. If I were doing it again, I would still do poly. I've been extremely satisfied and the grease is a small price to pay imo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts