S-10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I have a Civic now
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has done this and what do i need, i wanna do this hardcore too, also wanted to know about my rear wheel size? i took my 17's off yesterday and didnt realize how wide my rear tires were, im runnin 235/40 in the front and 255/40 in the rear, can that be put on an 8 in wide rim, or is it a 9.5in wide rim??

Nathan:idea:

·
Registered
224 Posts
hmm

if you have access to a high speed buffer(not a waxer), you can use a wool pad(likethey use to buff paint with), and a mild compound(I like 3m perfect it 3). This stuff is actually used to buff paint, but Ivefound billet has a lot of the same qualities as paint, being that it is soft and what-not. I finish them by hand with eagle one, or mothers aluminum and mag polish. I have also used meguiars no. 7 handglazeto finish them.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
255 40 17 is fine on a 8 inch rim. i have a question for you. what does your truck measure to from floor to top of front and rear fenderlips? with a 5 6 drop im at 22.75 front 23.5 rear. just wondering

tony

·
32,797 Posts
I bought a custum polishing bit from a hot rod swapmeet for $3.
This thing WORKS! I used it with Meguiers polish and it gave my Centerlines a chrome-like finish, better than new.

The bit is dirty, it should be white. It turns black after polishing.

·
I have a Civic now
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Polishing bit

So thats pretty much the same thing as like a 5inch buffing wheel you can hook up to your cordless drill right? That what I had planned to use, and also ARCdidit, is this 3M stuff called "Perfect It 3" ?? Will this get rid of the brake dust pitting on the inside edges of the front wheels?? I'm using a Dremel tool for that?? Thanks for all the info everyone, and SSNOS i will get those measurements in a bit, called in sick to work today, lol.

Nathan:drinkhaha

·
Registered
224 Posts
yeah

its a compound, so it will get rid of a lot of imperfections. Clean them real good first though. I like to use that meguirs"hot rims" cleaner-thats the best stuff I have found yet. If you have a scratch, you can sand it out, with nothing rouger than 600 grit wet or dry(used wet). Those wheels you put on makitas work well, however they don't turn fast enough to take out big scratches. These are a set of colorado customs I had(not the set I sold), and they were absolutely trashed!!! The guy drove them through the winter(MI!!), and they had salt marksandeveryting else on them. Using the technique I described, I gotthem all really nice-actually as shiny as new. I wis the pic turned out better, but it's too damn cold to take pics outside!!!!

Attachments

·
I have a Civic now
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello Ladies!!!!!!!!!

ARCdidit said:
its a compound, so it will get rid of a lot of imperfections. Clean them real good first though. I like to use that meguirs"hot rims" cleaner-thats the best stuff I have found yet. If you have a scratch, you can sand it out, with nothing rouger than 600 grit wet or dry(used wet). Those wheels you put on makitas work well, however they don't turn fast enough to take out big scratches. These are a set of colorado customs I had(not the set I sold), and they were absolutely trashed!!! The guy drove them through the winter(MI!!), and they had salt marksandeveryting else on them. Using the technique I described, I gotthem all really nice-actually as shiny as new. I wis the pic turned out better, but it's too damn cold to take pics outside!!!!
Nice pic, didnt you post some on here with some nekkid chick on your truck?? Anyway, clean them real good and what about the brake dust pitting that i have on the inside edges, sand that out too?? Thanks again for the info!

Nathan:thumbup:

·
Registered
224 Posts
just sand them out....

ad polish them with a high speed buffer or die grinder. I also have a mini-D.A. sander with a buffing pad that works great on the billet. And I guess it was me with nekked pics.....hahaha

Attachments

·
I have a Civic now
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One last thing

Hey ARCdidit, i checked on that 3M Perfect It III, they have a rubbing compund, quick cut rubbing compound, and a machine glaze or machine finish, cant remember the last one, do i want to just get the rubbing compound?? And a quart will be enough right?

Nathan:idea:

·
32,797 Posts
Polished rims don't photograph easy.
If you put something in front of it so it reflects like a mirror, it'll show the polished shine/finish.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts