S-10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Chevrolet S-10 4.3 z
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 S-10 4.3L 6 cylinder VIN Z. Cranked it up thia morning to let it warm up, went out to leave about 15 mins later and as soon as i got in it, it just died. Went and bought Brand New Relays and a Brand New Fuel Pump and now it is still not cranking up and staying running. It seems like it is getting fire and it wants to crank but it will start to crank then quit.....Me and My stepson are Stumped on this one!!!! Please HELP US OUT PLEASE!!!!!
THANKS

·
Been there Done it
10,084 Posts
Could be a lot of causes. Need to narrow it to what to diagnose.
Try spraying a little starting fluid in the throttle body. If it starts then dies the issue is fuel. If it doesn't the issue is electrical.

·
Registered
1994 Chevrolet S-10 4.3 z
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be a lot of causes. Need to narrow it to what to diagnose.
Try spraying a little starting fluid in the throttle body. If it starts then dies the issue is fuel. If it doesn't the issue is electrical.
My stepson and i did spray starter fluid in throttle body and it acts like it wants to start but wont...could my catalytic converter be making it do that if its not getting enough air?? I think my Catalytic converter might be stopped up

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,361 Posts
pull the cap and check the rotor and the inside of cap for rust/carbon scoring and /or damage.

·
Been there Done it
10,084 Posts
Cat won't stop it from starting.

·
Registered
164 Posts
To check to see if the cat is plugged, remove the oxygen sensor and attempt to start.

The open O2 sensor hole will pass enough air for it to run if the cat is plugged.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Ignition Control Module???
check for spark at the plug

·
Registered
98 2.2 Extended cab, 2001 V6 Extended cab Sport Suspension, 2001 V6 Extended Cab 4x4
600 Posts
The ignition control module in the older TBI engines also controls the injector pulse, your local auto part store can test it for you. And I second the cap and rotor. Oh and while the cap is off check for rotor play, it shouldn’t move much at all.

·
Registered
2001 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4, 4.3L automatic
23 Posts
Just out of curiosity, do you have a Check Engine or Service Engine Soon light?

1994 is pre-OBD II and as I remember you should be able to read the codes by installing a jumper wire and watching the flashes on the Check Engine light.

When you sprayed the starting fluid, did it catch and run for a few RPMs then die when the fluid was gone? Or did it never fire?

My favorite method for checking for spark is to grab a spare plug (or rob the lawnmower) and use the black side of a pair of jumper cables to ground the plug. Then pull off a spark plug wire and attach it to the spare.
One quick crank and you’ll know if you have spark.

·
Been there Done it
10,084 Posts
Just have you girl friend hold the wire and hit the starter. She'll let you know if it sparked.

Reactions: Dan_in_WA

·
Registered
98 2.2 Extended cab, 2001 V6 Extended cab Sport Suspension, 2001 V6 Extended Cab 4x4
600 Posts
A sleeping cat is another good indicator of good spark... not that I have ever done that... exactly...

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,100 Posts
It's a variation of "Here...hold my beer"

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 1994 S-10 4.3L 6 cylinder VIN Z. Cranked it up thia morning to let it warm up, went out to leave about 15 mins later and as soon as i got in it, it just died. Went and bought Brand New Relays and a Brand New Fuel Pump and now it is still not cranking up and staying running. It seems like it is getting fire and it wants to crank but it will start to crank then quit.....Me and My stepson are Stumped on this one!!!! Please HELP US OUT PLEASE!!!!!
THANKS
Hello, the 91 4.3 Z has a pickup coil in the distributor. Sometimes it will tend to corrode up. Not sure if the 94 is the same. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My 94 Jimmy did the exact same thing years ago. The problem turned out to be the reluctor wheel on the distributor was cracked. A new distributor fixed the issue. The distributor is pretty easy to remove and inspect.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, you probably know to take note of, rotor button and distributor direction when removing, especially if you don't have a timing light. Let me know how it goes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts