S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I put in a new radio in my 1991 chevy s10 Tahoe. One day it popped a fuse, the truck is now hesitate to start and the horn, cig lighter and radio does not work, I am worried that the battery is too much for the truck or there is a short somewhere. I would like help please because i am only 17 and this is my first vehicle and I love my truck.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,692 Posts
Moved to Sound/Security.

How did you install the radio? Did you use the tape on the connections, solder & shrink tubing, or did you use a harness? Sounds like there's an exposed connection back there.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,125 Posts
best investment- small electrical kit that has butt connectors,some shrink wrap, some small zip ties. and a GOOD pair of wire strippers/crimpers. Electrical tape will only hold so long, then problems start.The Metra plug Rhot suggested is the best way to go. Just take your time, as one and done is the motto to remember.Only after repairing/replacing the wiring, change the fuse.

·
Registered
‘95 LS 2.2L Manual
101 Posts
One thing that’s stuck with me for years that my Grandad used to tell me, “You never have time to do a job right, but you ALWAYS have time to do it over.”

·
Registered Gun Owner
54 Posts
I have been installing stereos for 20+ years and can say that buying the right parts is NEVER a bad investment. Cutting factory wires and harnesses should always be avoided. The $10-$15 you saved will not be worth it when you spend hours fixing it later. Or worse someone steals stereo and worse go to replace it have so little wire it's 10x harder. If it's already done no use beating a dead horse but a learning lesson for your next vehicle.

As long as your wires are hooked up correctly you shouldn't have any blown fuses.

Constant 12V+Orange
Switched 12V+Yellow
GroundBlack
IlluminationGray
DimmerBrown
AntennaRight Front
Front Speakers4" x 6" Dash
Left Front (+)Tan
Left Front (-)Gray
Right Front (+)Light Green
Right Front (-)Dark Green
Rear Speakers4" x 10" Rear Corners