S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I start up my truck and drive it for maybe 10 minutes, the check gages light comes on, and it is overheating. But the reserve is full, and when i pop the hood, smoke comes out from to the right of the dipstick and to the left of the brake fluid. I was curious if anyone had this problem or knows what to do? It sounds like something is hissing

·
Do I need a gas mask?!
5,780 Posts
temp sensor on the thermol. housing bad? Check you compression? Head gasket could be spweing some antifreeze out once the thermostat opens.

my theory, bet i'm wrong..

·
BMW Parts Dept.
434 Posts
That could'nt be from the therostat housing. Checking your overflow level won't help at all. Take you radiator cap off and make sure you see coolant. Since your water pump was just replaced I'd be willing to bet that your coolant was refilled properly. You can cross your fingers and hope that the temperature your guage is reading is due to a pocket of air in your coolant lines, as for an explaination of why it's steaming outta that side of your engine, I don't wanna concern you but I can only say check your headgasket. But what ever is 'smoking' on that side of the engine is probably burning off of your exhaust manifold. If you keep driving your truck while you overheating your gonna warp your head, if you already haven't done so. Do you know the smell of burning coolant or oil, very distinct smells. That'll make it easier for us to help you further. If you just changed your oil as well maybe some dropped on to you exhaust manifold and its just burning off.

-Sean

·
slowly fast
2,001 Posts
You might want to check your oil for discoloration.Pull out the dipstick and if it looks kinda like chocolate milk or has a tan foamy stuff on it ,that means you have coolant mixing w/ the oil(usually meaning you blew a head gasket)

·
UAH By-product
1,092 Posts
As have I, although not with the 2.2. Had a 93 Merc. Sable with the 3.8 in it. Going 70, I see some buzzards chowing on road kill..... so being the classy fellow I am, I floor it. I got nothing but a hesitation and smoke pouring from the back. Ugggh.

Brad

1 - 10 of 10 Posts