S-10 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2000 s-10, 2.2L. everything under the hood is stock. i have about 50 dollars. is there ANYTHING i can do to make my truck faster with that small amount?? IM OPEN TO ANY IDEAS

·
Registered
214 Posts
The cheapest and easiest thing is to modify the stock intake. Hack open the bottom of the airbox or cut out the tube leading into the box for more airflow. Then remove the factory resonator and cap it with a paint can cap. Drop a factory replacement K&N filter (~$45) in the airbox and you're good to go! You'll get about 1-4 horses throughout the powerband for about fifty bucks and an hour's work.

-Chris :thumbup:

·
Registered
893 Posts
remove you rear bumper=free & at least 50 lbs lighter
could also replace it with a GM rollpan if caoncerned with the law for around $30 un painted of course...

tbspacer isnt worth it for you right now, ur better off with the intake. IMO

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
When you replace the bumper w/ a roll pan, do you actually notice a difference in speed/performance? I was just wondering, because I like the looks of my bumper, but I want speed too! Thanks,

DogP

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
You won't notice that difference......

I didn't notice anything from the K&N drop in.....

I made my own air intake...go to meineke and get them to bend you some 3 inch exhaust tubing in the shape of the K&N air filter, straight across and then down to where the stock airbox is Then, go to auto zone and they'll have what we call "ricer cone" it is an open element air filter they say is for civics, buy that, it is $20 and you will have a very good CAI, you'll also have to buy a valve breather though (yes, they have ricer cone valve breathers too), and either do the IAT mod, or make a hole and use what came with your stock tubing to make the sensor work with the new intake

TB-------------i
WP i
i
i
i
i
RC

Crude drawing.... TB- Throttle Body
WP- Water Pump
RC- Ricer Cone, where the stock airbox was

Caleb

·
Registered
214 Posts
Typically, it's going to take a gain of at least 10 horses (~.1 second in the quarter) for you to feel the difference. A general rule of thumb is that for every 100 pounds you shed you'll drop about a tenth in the quarter. As stated above, a tenth of a second is barely noticable to those with a well-tuned butt-o-meter. In short, no you won't feel any difference by losing the bumper. Leave it on if you like it. If you don't have the money to get a pan and have it painted then I would leave it on rather than driving around with no bumper looking ghetto. Do the intake mods first. After that the best mods for your buck are a header and an electric fan.

-Chris

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
That drawing above I have now dubbed, MAI GEN 2, since My mai follows the path of the volant

TB--
i
i
i
i WP
i
i
i----
-
- RC

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
Well apparently they didn't post the damn spaces so

MAI GEN 2

TB-------------------
``````````````i
``````````````i
``````````````i
`````````WP```i
``````````````i
``````````````RC

MAI GEN 1

TB---
````i
````i
````i
````i``WP
````i
````i
````i
````--------RC

There we go, little bit better ignore the `````

Caleb

·
The Tool All The Pro's Use!!
303 Posts
unless you have one custom made it's gonna be a waiting game for an aftermarket header, I know STS is supposedly working on one for us 98 and up 2.2L boys, I don't know what they changed between the years that the 94-97 one won't work. I'm pretty sure that it'll cost more than $50 if that's what your hoping for

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i can spen more than fifty dollars..im not poor! just stingy with my money. my brother was telling my that he shortned the throttle cable on his civic which made his throttle response alot better. but i cant find my cable. you can see where his is but i think our is hidden. do you know where its at?

·
The Tool All The Pro's Use!!
303 Posts
I wasn't saying anything about being poor I'm just saying it's going to cost you more, STS hasn't given any idea of the cost of thier headers when they come out...I would assume close to the same as the 94-97 headers which I believe is somewhere around 350-450...as for a custom one I wouldn't have a clue I'd have to talk to a few people I know to find out what that would entail, as for shortening the cable I'm not an engine expert, I've got an idea of what you're saying, but rather not say the wrong thing

·
Registered
389 Posts
blks10 said:
i can spen more than fifty dollars..im not poor! just stingy with my money. my brother was telling my that he shortned the throttle cable on his civic which made his throttle response alot better. but i cant find my cable. you can see where his is but I thk our is hidden. do you know where its at?
The reason that your brother got a better throttle response is because his civic had a lag in the cable. Your cable should be behind your throttle body at the back of your engine right on top. You can try shortening it but I really wouldn't go too far, check to see how much slack you have. Custom headers cost about $1800 and a custom Turbo from Turbo Technology costs about $5000.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
HAHAHA!!! that is funny... All shortening the throttle cable will do is make you not have to push the pedal down as far for full throttle. Not any performance difference. If you shorten it too much, it will cause your idle to be all screwed up because it will be like the pedal is pushed in part way. I really wouldn't mess with it unless you see the cable is not pulled all the way with the pedal to the floor. I don't know where the cable is, but have someone hit the gas while you look, you should see a cable moving back and forth.

DogP

1 - 17 of 17 Posts