S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm actually over from a full size chevy forum (own a '88 F/S chevy) but my father has a '99 GMC S15 and his power window quit today. I removed the motor from the truck today and it was a NIGHTMARE!!! The regulator and the motor are riveted in, and it appears, unless I shave the heads off some bolts and weld them to the regulator (due to clearance from the geared swinging arm so close to the rivet heads) I won't be able to get the new motor back in!

Someone who has replaced a motor please tell me - am I making too much of this? Are you supposed to replace the entire regulator assembly when the motor quits? It almost seems that way from the way the assembly's made. I use rivets quite a bit, but these mothers are BIG! Much bigger than the 3/16th my gun uses.

ANYONE who has changed their own window motor PLEASE give me some insight!!

Thank you,

Brian

N

·
0 Posts
When we changed a window motor in a first generation s-10 we put rivits in it. We had a rivit gun but it was bign. Wasn't that hard for me.

·
Strictly Domestic
2,864 Posts
Done many window motors... They use 1/4 inch rivets. And all the S and T trucks window motors are riveted in. Have to grind them down to get the motor out and then rivet the new motor in place

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HOLY MOSES - that was FAST replies!

thanks guys!

Are 1/4" rivet guns common/available at a hardware store (never looked for one).

Thanks a million! I drilled the rivets out, and have the motor out, I was just concerned about the re-install.

Thanks again!

Brian

·
Strictly Domestic
2,864 Posts
I dont see why u cant get it anywhere. The gun we have at my work we call "The big Daddy" Is a big rivet gun with different size adapters

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll look at the Home Depot - they must have one reasonably priced.

Thanks a lot for all the help - seems like a great forum you have here!

N

·
0 Posts
PEKO said:
I dont see why u cant get it anywhere. The gun we have at my work we call "The big Daddy" Is a big rivet gun with different size adapters
Thats what we got.

·
Strictly Domestic
2,864 Posts
Alot of newer cars and trucks have bolted on motors. They bolt onto the regulator. But thats when the motor and where the motor mounts to on there regulator is plastic. If you use bolts, and with the torque of the motor, the motor comes loose, it will make the holes oval. So if you want to use the bolts. Thats up to you but I wouldnt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts