S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
personally i have never used the lincoln plasma cutters, when i was talking with my welding supply guy about htem he was telling me how when htey first came out they had a CRAP load of problems with them... so personally that just turns me off to them... i have personally used a Miller Cutemate 375 thing cuts like heaving.. you can find them at brwelder for like $1155 severs 5/8s quality 3/8 - 1/2inch

·
Banned
1,458 Posts
I would go with a hypotherm. I belive all the other componys buy there's repaint em and put diffrent stickers on em. I have a snap-on and it works well but that is a very expensive route to take. The only reason I have it is that I got a deal I couldn't pass up.

·
Stop reading this
599 Posts
I just bought the Miller Spectrum 625. severs 7/8, after i get it hooked up today i'll let ya know how it is. Just what ever you but make sure you spend the money on a good air dryer to get all the moisture out of the air

·
can i video tape you?
2,360 Posts
hypertherms are better my older miller is just a normal one and it requires tons of mantnace and i go threw electrods [sp?] and tips like crazy and they are like 10 bucks a pop for both isnt much but it starts to add up. atleast 2 of each a week when doing lots of werk.

·
!! TALK NOW !!
4,910 Posts
My dad and I just got the Lincoln Procut 25 for xmas. Nice present. Never used one in our life. We had it hooked up to 110v for now. Just goofing around. Had no problems. SOOOOO NICE. alot better than torch. We are not looking for something crazy like 5/8. If we need something that big. Get the torch. But IMO Great for the price

·
INNOVATIVE FABRICATIONS
2,816 Posts
I too am looking into getting a plasma cutter. I was also thinking about the Miller Cutmate 375. Couple questions though. Will this plasma cutter cut as thin as sheet metal or ? I need to be able to cut sheet metal with no problem but also need to cut out 1/4" and 3/8" steel plates for bracing. I like the 110v or 220v power option as I would be using the 110v for the majority of the cutting. I have done tons of research on the Miller but haven't really looked into the hypertherm. Are the Hypertherms really that much better?

·
lame-o
792 Posts
the Miller 375 and you may want to check out the Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 38
are dope machines

I would check out the local welding shop BEFORE you buy it, you don't want to buy a machine that is a pain to get parts for in your area!

You may want to compare consumable costs also, i KNOW the Miller tips and electrodes are cheaper than most Thermal Dynamics BUT the new Cutmaster 38 are more competitively priced, and supposed to last longer!

When I get one(soon) I am getting the Cutmaster
www.thermadyne.com
www.millerwelds.com

t

·
evil shenanigans
325 Posts
We have a hypertherm on the cnc plasma at work and its an awesome machine, even though its small. If you're going to be cutting 3/8" or thicker regularly you'll want one thats designed for that thickness, not one you have to push. I'd recommend getting a less expensive one for sheet metal and using a local welding shop's if they'll let you borrow for the thicker, or else use a torch like me

·
INNOVATIVE FABRICATIONS
2,816 Posts
Ya, I will mainly be working with sheet metal material and 3/16" steel. The 1/4" and 3/8" will only be on ocassion. I'm still leaning towards the Miller 375 setup though.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
i have had a cebora for 7 years and love it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts