S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You can see what I have by my sig.... I want to take time to build a 383 for my truck..... and I have quite a few questions. I would like to know how much HP and Torque (a thing that many imports wish for) I could pull out of a 383 naturaly aspirated. I know I could fit the engine in the compartment so I am not worried about that. I also know that if I throw that in I can use my 4L60E for quite a while... The main things I am looking for is cost for the different components... and I want the best. First off, where do I start? prolly the block then..... hmmm this must sound dumb. I need to learn quite a bit more. please guys help me out. I also want the engine to have high RPMs, so I assume that I need a great crank, and what else. Oh yeah, another thing. I want to make it an EFI, so I will most likely go Pro-Flow. Just please give me some input.

Oh yeah, about being broke. Yes I am now. However I may be able to get this job with the water district up here. They pay 30k salary to start, not counting OT and pay increases. If I land that job I will do this.

And I also realize I live in California. Let me worrie about that. :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW I am still young, so I don't have a crap load of bills to pay.

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
Well damn, why not just drop in an LT1 and upgrade it? That would seem a bit easier and would still be badass. :thumbup:

·
little pink pink
5,036 Posts
yea..proflo'd has a Lt1 engine(complete with wiring and computer)and tranny he is trying to sell...I think he is asking $3,000 for them. they have 19k miles on them...

·
Registered
4 Posts
just to let you know a 383 is not going to be the best motor for you if you want high rpm. If you want a screamer build up a 327 and if you use a 383 your stock tranny will not last long at all!!! However 383 do make great torque

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm... I know that VetteS10 would know but I don't know if he will see this... do you guys know how much the Hot kit for the LT1 costs? VetteS10 said it bosted his LT1 from 300 HP to 430HP, but then again I want more. So then what? super charger? turbo??? I don't want to run NOS, b/c I want to run high boost on forged inturnals 24/7. and Austin... I think my grandpa may have a 327 sitting in his garage. This may be a good option. However, what do I do about a wiring harness? If it is carbed it won't be a problem, but if it is FI then what? I am going to go call my grandpa now.

FYI... this is what I am dealing with in the area. http://www.riversidestreetracing.com I know that my S10 will haul after I am done, but I need to know that I can take some of these souped up cars. Quite a bit of them are running turbos, and they would love to brag about beating a V8. Which is usualy the 96 and up Stangs... which are.... yeah. :gay:

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
Why don't you PM VetteS10 and ask him how much the kit is? :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yeah... lmao. Thanks for the help so far guys. I am also going to pm proflowed. I would love to have an LT1+tranny+ECM for 3000... now I just gotta get my stuff strait and hurry up and wait for this job to hire. My brother works there and he has put in a good word for me. Out of the 4 step hiring process (app, test, interview, and physical) I have 2 and 4 knocked. He maybe able to get 1 set up for me. All I have left is 3. If I get the job I am going for it. Oh yeah, I called my grand parents house several times... nobody home.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They think each other have bad a$$ cars.... all I see is prey.

·
Yeah, still on the bottle
201 Posts
zonk1024 said:
They think each other have bad a$$ cars.... all I see is prey.
I can make a special appearance to those people. :evilg:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
VetteS10 --- come on out, you can come up here and shoot pool while we wait for night to come and the ****roached to come out of the woodwork. I can't say that you could stay here, b/c it is my 'rents house (keeps my bills down big time), but they are pretty cool, so you never know.

CycloneWannabe --- Are you running AWD??? If so I need to talk to you.

To all... I think I know what all I want to do. After thinking about it for a couple days I think I got it. I want an AWD setup, an LS1 stroked over to a 383 (best of both worlds :) ), forged and/or treated parts so I can run (hopefully) 15 lbs of boost, and possibly the 6 speed out of a Camaro or whatever. What I am wondering is how the AWD should be setup. Should I just take one out of a Cyclone or a Typhoon... and if so can I have a posi rear and a locker front (for the 1/4 mile). Like I said I am still learning, so I don't mind being told I am wrong.

·
Registered
120 Posts
you need to look at the truck Linginfelter built,in the march issue of Chevy High Performance.It is a twin turbo 427 sb,awd s-15.Te engine started out as a LS1 350.With only 5 lbs of boost it makes OVER 700 hp,and is capable of well over 900 hp.Right now he has run a best of 10.48 sec at 132.15 mph on street tires,and once the get the tranny(a 4l60e) fixed to hold the torque,they are gonna pump the boost up from 5 psi to get the truck to run in the 9's on radial tires. Oh and by the way it get 18 mpg LOL
you may be able to find a artical on it at www.chevyhighperformance.com or www.lingenfelter.com

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I heard about that. I also found out from Boom that I have to get a 4X4. That guy rocks... he also enlightened me to california smog laws in reguards to a V8 swap. It is leagle. Search the forum for carb laws if you want to know more. I LOVE THIS FORUM!!! YOU GUYS ARE SO HELPFULL. I am glad that I found you all.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
120 Posts
hey Zonk i found something else for ya,go to www.airflowresearch.com and look in the dyno section.They have a 383 that makes 517 ft.lbs and 503 hp.The best part is all this is under 6000 rpm so you wont need really low gears,plus they done it with only 9.5 to 1 compression.

·
C.L.I.T. Commander
431 Posts
hahaha thats funny, a 12.95 sec car!!! oh no!!!! once im done i wanna be in the 10s...... BTW at s-series.org theres a guy with a blown 383 stroker thats runnin 9.7s in the 1/4. ive recently been considering instead of twin turboing my 4.3, blowing a 383 stroker. hehehe!

·
C.L.I.T. Commander
431 Posts
oops 9.87 my bad

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey V8Blazer.... would you happen to know the name of the article? And also, do you guys know if you can make an LS1 a 383? I was curious b/c the LS1 (from what I've come across) is a 358, not a 350. After all is said and done with the project I am sure I can get 700 HP+ and I want to run at the VERY least low 12s.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts