S-10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have decided that the truck needs a few more engine mods, to meet my everyday driving needs. I want to do this in stages so stage 1 will be as follows. I want to plan ahead and get my parts inline, so things will be ready for the first week in March.

1. Cam Shaft
2. Ported and Polished Head
3. Crane Gold 1.6 full roller rockers
4. E-fan
5. Port and Polish stock exhaust manifold

This will go on top of my current mods, which include
Volant intake, Jetchip stage 1, 56mm TB, gibson cat back, and high flow cat

Possibilities
1. Al's header
2. Custom ram air intake manifold (replaces volant)
3. cavalier PCM (to get a higher speed limiter)
4. larger down pipe
5. Larger valves
6. Coil packs
7. 7 or 8mm wires

Just for looks
1. Painted or polished valve cover
2. Coated exhaust manifold
3. Wire looms

Stage 2 will consist of
1. pistons (higher compression)
2. rods
3. supercharger

·
Registered
463 Posts
sounds good but why rebuild the engine twice? I would say rebuild it with the pistons and everything first then all of the bolt ons including the supercharger. and you know i'm gonna have to say it

Turbos are the way to go, but if you want less hp go with the superchager

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
I need turbo first off...

centerforce DF clutch set with lightweight flywheel.....
than I'm going for the cavalier connection head.

after all that.......new bottom end

Caleb

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The reason for going with the 2 stages is that if Stage 1 gets me a decent HP gain, I am just looking to get about 140-150 to the wheels. I probably won't want to spend another approx $800 on the bottom end and atleast another $1500 on the supercharger setup, just depends how much I want to put into the engine later on I guess.

BTW total cost for the deffinate stage 1 should be under $800, and I am expecting about a 30HP or more increase to the flywheel, on top of my other mods

·
slowly fast
2,001 Posts
I plan on doing the port+polished head,extrude honed lower intake,port match intake + exhaust,header,over bored cylinders.Still debating if i'm gonna get a electromotive tec lll unit,lot o'money but would really get the full potential out of the engine.

·
Fastest 2.2 liter
566 Posts
I wouldnt get the TEC 3 or any other standalone unless I had a VERY wild all motor setup....a very wild cam, high compression, and stroked.
A standalone or a piggyback system that modifies the spark & fuel would be very good for a 2.2 running alot of boost...maybe even a 2.2 running alot of nitrous.

Zq-8_dawg,
If you are thinking about getting larger valves, it would be a good idea to do it with when your head is being ported since the head has to come off. I think that SI Valves will be coming out with a set of 1mm larger stainless steel valves for the 98-02 2.2s soon.

·
slowly fast
2,001 Posts
I looked into the smt6,but the only thing that turns me off about it is you can't adjust the rev limiter.When you start putting on higher flowing heads,higher ratio rockers,cams,headers,that stuff extends your rpm range.You will be hitting the limiter when you could still be making power.That is also the only piggy back unit i know of,what other units are available?I 've heard of the megasquirt,but i'm not to good at soldering electronics.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No one makes a supercharger kit for the 2.2L, however you can fabricate one yourself, which is what I might attempt to do.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i'm thinking the best way to get power out of our little 4 cylinders (well kinf of ours) is to go find an ecotec and pay someone to fab you up some motor mounts after you build the motor. I would be shooting for all motor. You can have a plate fabricated to convert all the bolt locatiosn to a beefier (RWD) tranny, most likelyby the same person who would do you motor mounts. anyways

1. Ecotec 2.2
2. polish & port the stock heads
3. 11.5 to 1 forged pistons
4. forged rods
5 motor/tranny mounts (any suggestiosn on a 5 speed that isnt too costly?)

This is where suggestions would help, should i get a fully programable ecu, should i just used the stocker.

The expensive parts are the unseen ones (ie Ignition/ful delivery) i would have to go to the cavalier forums to research this more.

You could go the turbo/super route but thats a lot more costly (headers, fabbed itnake, downpipe/up pipe, not made out of money here) , i would rather upgrade to a nitrous shot when i had more $$$ and keep a gas tank with race gas in the bed for when i needed to spray.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
By the time you have the engine converted over you might as well have had a v-8 installed. I wanted to do this at one time with the 2.4L engine, but the found out what was really involved. 1. the bell housing convertor was going to cost $650
2. the wiring was going to be a pain
3. forged parts are not cheap
5. then if you want to go to stand alone computers, and turbos and all of that cost is going to be really high.
You are looking easliy at over $3,000 just in parts + all the custom fab work, ect.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have been doing alot of searching lately and have found alot of good sources that would really cut down the custom fabrication process for my supercharger design. I almost gave up on it until I found these parts. It is amazing when you look for parts in Countries in which language you don't even speak, you find all sorts of neat things.

·
Registered
45 Posts
well, zq-8 going to college next year and all, enjoy the 20+ mpg(will be comuting about 45 miles a day), a v-8 is not an option (thats why i'm not putting togethor my 1973 vega). I love my truck and just want to go a bit faster. if you know anythign else lemme know.

BTW fabrication is cake for me, i've helped the guy make aluminum throttle body flanges, stainless exaust flanges, a couple brackets, he'll gladly return the favor i'm sure, as logn as its not drawn out, which a pair of moutns and a bell housign converter shouldnt be, as long as i buy the metal.

i was planning it out, about a grand on forged internals, about 600ish for the stock motor + ecm + tranny. Turn around sell the tranny and go find a cheaper tranny at a junk yard for $100 and have a tranny shop rebuild it for about $400

that puts me at 2100 so far, not including ignition and fuel delivery

on my budget a turbo is out of the question, so i was just shootin for all motor, and maybe a few years down the road a bit of nitrous. Turbos are way out of my target price range.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Cool, that helps alot since you have access to custom fabrication.
Also you will need the accessories off of the ecotec, because they bolt directly to the block, probably a different throttle cable, repin the PCM, possible new guages depending on the year, you will then be spending alot of down time trying to test fit these parts and design all these parts, and possibly run into problems that you wouldn't expect. However I am not saying that you shouldn't go through with it, I am just saying that there is alot more than meets the eye, or atleast to me there was when looking at the 2.4L swap. A little bit of encouragement there was a guy who did the swap in a 95 or 96 sunfire over on j-body.org, so that might help if you got a hold of him.

·
Registered
45 Posts
awsome, thanks for the help, i'll look into finding the guy on the cavy website.

If i can't finsih all the research and collect all the parts by the beginging of summer then this will turn out to be a pipe dream.

Would it be easier to just buy an entire wrecked j-body with an ecotec and just pull the parts as i need em? where would i go to find i complete wrecked jbody?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts