S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Crutchfield says it won't fit. I believe they are wrong. I have one in my 89 TA. After measuring it physically it will fit. But both the DEH-p47 and p77 are made to have some sort
of faceplate over them to cover the empty spaces around the radio. the 47 and 77 are made to be mounted on the sides too. Basically I believe Crutchfield just doesn't have a KIT for this particular application with a 1.5 din.

I have seen pics of this radio in S10 on this site, how did you mount it and what did you use for a faceplate to cover around the radio ? Thx

Bill E.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
orangesonoma said:
i would not go with that radio...for the money you can get a better din size radio...and i have installed them into s10's and they do not look good....

I appreciate your opinion but I like the looks. Who has done it ? I have seen pics. How did you mount the front ? If I am not mistaken ( it has been a while since I saw the factory radio) the factory radio had mounting tabs built into it. How did you guys mount the pioneer ? Thx

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
orangesonoma said:
i would not go with that radio...for the money you can get a better din size radio...and i have installed them into s10's and they do not look good....
You installed them in a 94-up ? How did you mount it ?
I agree if the extra area around the unit is not filled in properly
it would not look good. But if someone fabbed up some good mounting points
and a NICE looking surround to fill the void around the radio it would look nice.

Talk to me ?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
orangesonoma said:
when i started to install it i mocked it up to show the customer what it looked like and he did not like it...in fact nobody does...it is still sitting on my shelf at work...lol

Thx for your help

·
Broken Handed Superman
6,283 Posts
no idea but it looks like garbage... look at all those gaps.. i mean.. i have a kit in my 97 that is for a din but also has an opening for 1/2 din underneath it.. u can prolly cut out the piece of plastic that seperates the two and cage mount it but im not sure if the unit comes cagemountable cause i've never seen one before lol

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MeltingPlastic said:
no idea but it looks like garbage... look at all those gaps.. i mean.. i have a kit in my 97 that is for a din but also has an opening for 1/2 din underneath it.. u can prolly cut out the piece of plastic that seperates the two and cage mount it but im not sure if the unit comes cagemountable cause i've never seen one before lol

What is cage mountable ?

·
Broken Handed Superman
6,283 Posts
basically the radio clicks into a cage.. its how most radios that arent din mounted(using screws and a bracket connectd to the actual radio) are mounted. this is how a din size radio would be mounted in a dash kit for our trucks

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MeltingPlastic said:
basically the radio clicks into a cage.. its how most radios that arent din mounted(using screws and a bracket connectd to the actual radio) are mounted. this is how a din size radio would be mounted in a dash kit for our trucks
Yes OK, just had never heard that term used for that type of mount, thx.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Basically this has become a curiousity for me. Pioneer today told me "not recommended" for 94-95 S10/Sonoma. Crutchfield says it flat will not mount up. I have seen the pics and have PM'ed rlith about this and he had it in his truck a while back.

So someone that has this now, how did you do it ?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have the Pioneer 1.5 din in my 98 but don't have pics at the moment. I could get some tomorrow. It doesn't look too bad but I'm looking for an MP3/WMA capable cd player in a few months. I know you're looking for your model year specifically but maybe you'll get an idea from mine. Also, mine didn't require a kit and there's no clunky looking plastic around it or anything.

·
forum idiot
49,646 Posts
magoonas said:
I have the Pioneer 1.5 din in my 98 but don't have pics at the moment. I could get some tomorrow. It doesn't look too bad but I'm looking for an MP3/WMA capable cd player in a few months. I know you're looking for your model year specifically but maybe you'll get an idea from mine. Also, mine didn't require a kit and there's no clunky looking plastic around it or anything.
98 is a different dash so its not gonna help...

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

1 - 20 of 24 Posts