S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok as you guys might know about my driveshaft i need to get these 2 degree shims on but they said they wont go on the way its set up. do they make 1" angled blocks for my truck? they said they can try to put mine on a mill and angle the ones i have. all i know is it needs to be shimmed 2 degrees so how do i go about doing this? thanks for all the help.

Rocky

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
nobody has put pinion shims in? everyone talks about them. i gotta go by there tomorrow and drop off the right gears so i need to tell them what the best way to shim the rear end. thanks.

Rocky

·
Registered
163 Posts
You're confusing me. You said pinion shims in your second post, Pinion shims are for setting up the gears in the case. Axle housing shims set the pinion angle. I think I got it straight now. To do it right you need tools to measure the driveshaft angle and pinion angle. GM published these for stock trucks but I don't know what it would be for a dropped truck. Probably a couple of degrees down from stock angle.
Putting them in on a stock truck is doable. Drop the u bolts and the axle from the springs. Replace shims. Reattach with U bolts. Measure and double check, Motor on.
I don't know what you rear suspension is (bagged?). If the springs are under the axle, then the shims would be reversed to give negative angle.

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
Ya, what exactly is the problem and why cant the shop install them? Its just a matter of unbolting the u-bolts and slapping the shims in..

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they said if they go under the blocks then they will crack and just spit out the back

1 - 8 of 8 Posts