S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, here goes. my pinion bearing took a crap on me.i'm trying to relace it but it's either stuck to the shaft or i need a puller to get it off. i've messed up the bearing trying to get it out. Does anyone know how to get it out, is a puller required for removal? Please help.

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
most of the time i use a cheese cutter and a shop press.

i have also been known to take a chiesel and a hammer to get them off, you just have to b real careful due to you can damage the pinion using this method

·
Registered
7 Posts
ok, here goes. my pinion bearing took a crap on me.i'm trying to relace it but it's either stuck to the shaft or i need a puller to get it off. i've messed up the bearing trying to get it out. Does anyone know how to get it out, is a puller required for removal? Please help.
Ok this is how we do it at the dealer, cut and remove the bearing cage and rollers then using a half worn out cutting wheel on a die grinder cut the inside race but don't go to deep, you don't want to damage the pinion shaft. After this using a chisel and hammer strike the notch you have cut in the race. This will crack the race thus expanding it and it will then slide off the shaft(it may still need to be tapped with the hammer n chisel) be sure not to lose the shim between the bearing and pinion gear(although sometimes there is no shim depending on pinion depth). It is best to use a press to install the new bearing and shim onto the shaft and take care not to damage the gear. follow the service manual for re-assembly and torque specs/procedures. Good luck

·
This season SUCKS.
15,929 Posts
Ok this is how we do it at the dealer, cut and remove the bearing cage and rollers then using a half worn out cutting wheel on a die grinder cut the inside race but don't go to deep, you don't want to damage the pinion shaft. After this using a chisel and hammer strike the notch you have cut in the race. This will crack the race thus expanding it and it will then slide off the shaft(it may still need to be tapped with the hammer n chisel) be sure not to lose the shim between the bearing and pinion gear(although sometimes there is no shim depending on pinion depth). It is best to use a press to install the new bearing and shim onto the shaft and take care not to damage the gear. follow the service manual for re-assembly and torque specs/procedures. Good luck
Lies and shenanigans.

·
Registered (Ab) User
4,137 Posts
Good advice, Boost! Welcome to the Forum! :D

·
long live italy.
636 Posts
yeah that'll do.

if you know anyone at a shop u can ask if they got a bearing puller.

Made my gear swap a sinch!
I'll let you borrow mine next time your in the neighborhood

·
Local Tech
5,407 Posts
thats spot-on perfect, but the only thing i can add is be careful, because bearing races shatter like glass, so watch ur eyes.....

·
long live italy.
636 Posts
haha up in this shop every now and then somebody will get a bearing and rev it up with our air blowers and let it fly across the floor.

its funny until somebodys toolbox gets hurt:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have replaced the bearings and loaded the crush sleeve. There is a 1/4 inch of in/out play in the pinion shaft. This does not seem right to me. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks! Ed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts