S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Alsek Spring & Fab Ltd.
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have pics of what the pinion angle should be? Im trying to figure out how long I need to make the upper link bars.

I picked up one of those magnetic base protractors yesterday.

My truck has been apart for a while and I cant remember what position the rear end sits with the driveshaft.

There is no bag mounts on yet so I cant set it at ride height.

The only thing that is on are the 2 lower links and they are set in the right spot.

I have a xcab with the 2 piece driveshaft. not sure if it make a diff.

Any pics or tips would be alot of help. Im trying to get this done asap.

Dave

·
I <3 SPARKS
7,977 Posts
Pics of perfect pinion angle? You need to match up the angles of the rearend and the angle of the yoke on the transmission. They should be equal and opposite at ride height. Just put the frame a few inches off the ground (if thats your ride height) and set the pinion angle there.

·
Alsek Spring & Fab Ltd.
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya i guess thats what im gonna have to do. Is there any pics so I have some sort of idea what to look for?

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
You can't judge by a picture, you have to actually measure it and set it according to what your truck is designed on. Here is a simple pic of what I've learned through my 'research'...if this is wrong, someone please correct me.

The conditions in this pic have to be true at your ride height. Which means, set the truck at ride height, then adjust the driveshafts, and pinion angle as necessary.

Attachments

·
Alsek Spring & Fab Ltd.
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks. That helps alot. Its a little tricky to figure out the ride height with no bed on and just my winter tires. Ill manage though. I guess if its close, there will be enuf adjustment in the link bars if the ride height is a little off.

Btw, do you remember where that thing that gave you the overall dia. of tire and stuff. i need the overall dia of 20's with a few different tire sizes.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
in an ext cab as long as the tranny yoke and pinion yoke are the same this is the important part. then set the carrier bearing so the end of the frotn shaft is parallel to the tranny yoke. sometimes the tranny has to be raised so theres enough drop in the carrier bearing crossmember. but dont change the tranny angle without changing the pinion angle also. since on s10s when lowered the pumpkin is higher than the tranny. the laws still apply.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts