S-10 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Pressurized 2.2 Member
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know what gets in the way of using the camaro y pipe. If im reading through this forum and Ive seen it more than once and please correct me if Im wrong you can use camaro headers for the LT1? If so what gets in the way of the y pipe to be used?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
the control arm hanger for one

·
Pressurized 2.2 Member
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is that a camaro header and is that large metal piece part of the tranny it look as if i wouldnt be there once its ready. And you got a finished pic.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
its a s10 swap header

·
Pressurized 2.2 Member
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
looks close but with the swap header it looks like plenty of room. do ya have a pic from the other side? And how much fun was it getting in there.

·
Pressurized 2.2 Member
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I want to set the motor so the stock driveshaft in my 2.2. Im trying to save what little possible. Im going to spend more on the wiring harness than anything else other than the motor. I will get a harness where I have to do nothing but hook it up no splicing from me and itll be ready to go. And all my stock gauges will work. So having the motor forward that much I think I wont have many problems with beating just clearing the control arms will be my challenge. And any sugestions would be nice to headers that dont point to Ill have to pull a hard angle out of so I can set it forward so the stock drive will work.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
pass side. engine will come out and im going to box the firewall for more clearance.

·
Pressurized 2.2 Member
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
your personal opinion with the motor set forward to utilize the stock driveshaft what clearance issues do you think I will run into? Also are you running with the stock driveshaft? Plus what are you using to get the fuel to the motor stock lines and the pump to pull through the intank pump?

·
Registered
26 Posts
the aftermarket harness's like ur talking about are a waste of time. i jsut started doing the wiring for my truck tonight and shit...i dind't know anything about the harness or nething but figured out whut needed to be done by jsut plugging evreything in and takin out shit like emissions and a/c, lights, shit thats not connected to the computer. and then just use the truck shit from there, the oil pressure, the temp...evreything. and same wit the truck harness, get rid of smog and all the shit for the old engine(unless its on the new one). and the problem with settint he engine foward is whut determines whut kind of fan you can use and possible if u can have a/c or not.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Bottom Side....

Pretty much all of the setups will have to have the tranny ears cut off for clearance (as the pic shows) if you're running a 700r4 and maybe others. The headers (especially Headman shorties) I don't think will clear any better no matter how much you move the engine forwards and you'll only run out of space very quickly for fans/rad clearance and such by moving it forward... it is best for all things involved to put it as far back as the distributor you are using will possibly allow and then deal with floor pan and crossmember spacing and alignment as required.
You'll almost most certainly need to shorten your driveshaft (mine needed about 2" knocked off) if you're going with a 700r4 -and a new trans. mount to raise the tranny up to clear the crossmember and get some sort of correct driveline angle going( I welded up one about 1" or so thick to adapt to my 2.2 mount and it worked well).
Don't know about Camaro Y pipes but I would bet it wouldn't fit - just take it to a muffler shop when final install is done and get them to bend up some pipes to get you a true dual setup that crosses over from the drivers side and goes thru the notch in the crossmember into a couple of mufflers - it is a whole lot easier in the long run. Why screw up your power going into a Y pipe and single setup after going to the V8 to get more? - JMHO --- Kevin

·
Pressurized 2.2 Member
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
My fan setup will be 2 11 inch fans on the front of the A/C condensor from jegs at full power it runs 4000 cfm thats a lot of air. I want to leave the rad in regular postion so Ill move the motor to that point to where I hope to use the stock driveshaft for now. I havent decided on a carb or a lt1 motor yet still a few things I need to find out that the manual was no help to find out. One is exhaust it says you will need it to be custom and all are diffent so that helps about as much as saying try something out and see if it works. And when I cut the ears off the tranny should I try to seal that area back up with something or is it not a huge concern? And for the wiring I want whatever it takes to keep as many gagues as possible stock and ABS. No matter what ABS will work or I will swap the mofo back. It rains to damn much to drive a truck in florida without ABS.

·
V8 with bags
7,374 Posts
ok, first off. I have a 700r, and my hedman headers clear everything(you dont have to cut the 700r), ALso if you do not push your engine back any you will not have to "massage" the firewall. I would suggest hedman headers or the camaro exhaust manifolds the jtr book refers to (sense you are wanting to go cost effecent) And going in to a y-pipe and using a single exhaust pipe by no means will effect flow if it is done right. 3 inch piping on a stock or slightly mod'd engine is plenty enough, if it is single exhaust.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts