S-10 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
One Bad Dude
Joined
·
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help picking out some pistons for my new build. It will be boosted eventually, but i will run it NA for a little while, so i was thinking of sticking close to the stock CR (9.2 to 1 i think). I see a lot of people run diamond, je, and srp. Anything i should know? Also anyone know if I will have enough piston to valve clearance with some 2.02 1.60's and the 270 ahr?

Also cryo'd or nitrated crank?
 

·
1988 S15 Member
Joined
·
794 Posts
badnoma said:
I need some help picking out some pistons for my new build. It will be boosted eventually, but i will run it NA for a little while, so i was thinking of sticking close to the stock CR (9.2 to 1 i think). I see a lot of people run diamond, je, and srp. Anything i should know? Also anyone know if I will have enough piston to valve clearance with some 2.02 1.60's and the 270 ahr?

Also cryo'd or nitrated crank?
As far as pistons I am not sure but there is a wide variety. The piston to valve clearance should be ok but you can always check that afterwards. The valve guides will have to be cut though. I believe they can only accept about .480 of lift stock and the 270 is .500 or more. As far as cryo'd or nitrated... cryoing strengthens the whole crank while nitrating just strengthens the outside. They can accept pretty much the same hp.... i believe Race Proven Motors said their nitrated cranks are good to 700 hp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,370 Posts
federal mogual lw2256-f is whats in my motor. You can mill the top of the to alter the compression. There flat tops
 

·
Getting back to Boosting
Joined
·
881 Posts
Neil, check out Mahle pistons, and you should be good at the stock CR. I'll send you a PM about the heads. Go nitrated it would be easier just to get one, but either way the cryoed is supposed to be 300% stronger. Both will be good for some hp. Probably within the range that you want to run.. or not.. 1000hp here we come.. haha.

Jay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
badaSS98 said:
Neil, check out Mahle pistons, and you should be good at the stock CR. I'll send you a PM about the heads. Go nitrated it would be easier just to get one, but either way the cryoed is supposed to be 300% stronger. Both will be good for some hp. Probably within the range that you want to run.. or not.. 1000hp here we come.. haha.

Jay
Neil, I am running the Mahle pistons in the new build. I am also running the Eagle rods, and the stock crank deep-cryo'ed. Had it done here locally. PM me if interested in the cryo. I also have (2) left-over pistons and ring sets from the MAHLE kit. They are 0.30" over. LMK

Alex
Typhoon #1600
 

·
Getting back to Boosting
Joined
·
881 Posts
The cubian,, I may be getting a hold of you for the cryo then.. I didn't know it was so local to you guys up there. That would be good then. I think that would be better if it's that available.. How much did you pay for that?? I will shoot you a pm about the cryo.

jay
 

·
One Bad Dude
Joined
·
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
qbnkiller said:
Neil, I am running the Mahle pistons in the new build. I am also running the Eagle rods, and the stock crank deep-cryo'ed. Had it done here locally. PM me if interested in the cryo. I also have (2) left-over pistons and ring sets from the MAHLE kit. They are 0.30" over. LMK

Alex
Typhoon #1600
What does your guy charge for the deep cryo? What is the CR on those Mahle's? I am having a difficult time figuring all that bullshit out. What CC are the vortec heads? 64cc? Are those Mahle's flat tops or dished? What did you pay for the pistons and the rods? Got part numbers? Are those rings good for boost?LOL Man thats a lot of questions .Sorry, I have been trying to get all kinds of part numbers together to start my build. I PM'd TJ a few times for a parts list, but i guess he is to busy or something. You dont happen to know EVERYTHING i need for a 2114 swap do you? Preferably with part numbers? Thanx alot man, appreciate it.
 

·
One Bad Dude
Joined
·
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
woops, Dont know how that happend? That was supposed to be a pm for ya Alex.

I sold my Harley so now I can afford to do another build. Think i might go for a standard cab though.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top