S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1998, GMC, Sonoma
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lied, I picked up a '98 Sonoma and a '02 S-10, Anyways I really only plan of keeping the Sonoma, its a 2WD extended cab with the OEM lowered suspension that I'm sure is the same as an Extreme trucks BUT she's got the lackluster 2.2L/Auto and sadly hasn't been run for 20 years. The '02 is the exact opposite, it's a 4.3/Auto 4x4 that runs and drives good but rust has gotten the best of the cab and bed below the belt line.

I have a set of wheels off a 2005 Vette that ill be using (18x8.5 /19x10), I have read that 2WD trucks need a 2" spacer, would I still need a spacer on the rears if I use the 4WD axle housing (and disc brakes ;) )

I also have a pair of 2" lowering spindles here for a late Blazer (bolt on hub) I assume I can use them on my 98 Pickup as long as I use all 2wd blazer Hubs, rotors & 2 piston calipers ;) I assume I would need 2' spacers up front, I don't know if 2wd blazers are the same width as 4WD S-10/Blazers

And last but not least, with all the largest brakes available for a S-10 I'll need more power, well any power at all I don't plan on spending $1 on getting that 2.2 running. So I could go any one of about 3 ways. Option 1: basic SBC V8 swap with a Carb and non-electric trans. Option 2: 4.3 swap everything over from the 4x4 parts truck and find a 2wd 4l60e -or- Option 3: I don't really have a option 3, If I do a more technologically advanced v8 swap (LSx, 4l60E) my out of packet expense goes up and I use less of of the 4x4 parts truck. I have been around cars/truck a long time and I'm not new to modifying them, I know 9 times outa 10 a kid has some half cocked idea to swap the best stock option engine into his base model car and you have to talk them off the ledge and explain that by the time they pay the car they have now off then can just buy a running better version of the same car in 4 or 5 years. The Option 2 Vortech 4.3 would probaly make the same power/TQ as my V8 option because if I did do a V8 id probaly just find the cheapest 305 I could find on Craigslist or FB marketplace.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Check the 02 4x4 for the dual piston calipers. They will work on the 2WD Blazer spindles too from what I remember.

Option 3 might be a Vortec V8. I'm not really up on them as I go the LS route, but many of the 4.3 parts are usable with that engine including harness, computer, radiator, etc. It's a great step between the old carb engines and the LS stuff.

Of course with the right know how, LS swaps can be done for cheap and 5.3/4L60 pullouts can be had for a reasonable price - around $1500 complete in the truck for the engine/trans swapped if you're good.

·
Been there Done it
8,599 Posts
The 4wd rear end will work in the rear with the Vette wheels since it is 2" (51mm) wider on each side
Those 05 19x10 wheels are +79mm so you'll need to make up the extra 28mm with 1" spacers to give you tire clearance from the frame. It'll be a tight fit with the 11-1/4" wide 285/35R19 tires. On the front you'll need 2" or 2-1/2" spacers because of the +56mm wheel offset. The Blazer spindles don't make it any wider and you should be able to use most of the front brake components off the 4wd truck. I'd try to find some sort of plastic plug for the inside of the bearing just to cover the hole. It isn't necessary as some of the replacement 2wd bearings come with it open.
I agree with Harley that a 96-02 5.7 Vortec into a 2wd 98 is about as easy a swap as they get. No well done swap is easy, but an LS into a 98 is a lot more work.
As far as swapping in the 4.3 goes, I always advocate have both vehicles if your swapping from Tutu to 4.3, but in your case an 02 4wd into a 98 2.2 2wd, having both vehicles won't be much help since they are quite different. Some parts will work in both, a lot won't. Engine wiring, exhaust, trans, etc are different.

Reactions: 1Fastkingcab

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Pics

Good score all you need is a transmission

Reactions: 1Fastkingcab

·
Registered
1998, GMC, Sonoma
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pics

Good score all you need is a transmission

Yea, had a issue grabbing the Sonoma today, it's completely infested with multiple types of wasps, had to retreat, going back 1st thing in the morning. it will be cool to have Before, Durring and After pics.

·
Registered
1998, GMC, Sonoma
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finaly got the Sonoma to the shop today and pressure washed off, I keep forgetting to take a pic of the green 02 4x4

Here is the 98 2wd.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts