S-10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Pop A Lockin and droppin
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im converting my 2.8 fi in to a 2.8 carbed. Long story short wiring in the truck is so ****ed dont wanna mess with rebuilding it. So question i have. I am doing the following mods

Edelebrock Cam
Edelbrock performer manifold
Electric fan swap
custom exhaust
headers of some type
Roller cam chain.

What else can i do. Is it worth buying one of the high end dizzys or go with a factory one one for the carb. Also msd? wires plugs. Jet underdrive pulleys? Not trying to make huge numbers but would like something that can move out of its way. And i am only using a stock 2b carb if that helps.

·
Boozebag
9,041 Posts
Sounds cool to me... except for the choice of carb.
I don't know what your budget is, but a healthy cam will require a larger carb just so the engine will idle properly. The stock carbs on these trucks run way too lean, and it is not easy to re-jet them.
If you install a big cam. the Weber 38/38 outlaw carb will work well, the 32/36 will be too small, or you can run a Holley 350 CFM 2 barrel with an adapter also.
As Greasemonkeys can tell you, make sure you break in the cam correctly - according to manufacturer's recommendations. I would also run an electric fuel pump. This will elimnate the possibilty of wearing out the cam lobe for the pump.
Do you have a cam in mind? RV type? Performance type?

I installed a Mallory dizzy in the Voodoo truck, it offers faster advance than the stocker. You can run a non ECU dizzy (pre 86) and it will work fine. The Mallory units are NOT cheap. I think I paid about $325 for mine. I also run a Hyfire 7 box, but I don't think it is neccessary for a street truck.

Post pics when you do the job.

·
4 Year Intermediate Tech
1,829 Posts
Yes break in the cam or you will be spending another 400$ just like I did. 19,000 miles down the road. Shine a flashlight down the cam bore and inspect the bearings. Replace if peeling or deeply pitted/burned. Usually you can tell by the smell.

·
4 Year Intermediate Tech
1,829 Posts
I was suggested this pump by a member on the forum. Works great and is super quiet. I've got a weber inline fpr and Holley guage for fuel pressure. I highly recommend the Holley fuel pump wiring kit. Comes with all wires needed and a relay. Had it wired in under a hour.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/360717636130

·
Boozebag
9,041 Posts
I recommended this carb also, but thinking about it... You will suffer with poor fuel mileage. It is jetted more for a V8 that sucks gas.

I have the same 350 CFM carb on the Moo truck... (90 Ford Ranger with a 5.0 litre in it - and yes, it is painted like a cow)
The truck SUCKS fuel. Stock 5.0 with dual exhaust.

I think you would do better with the Weber 38/38 like Greasemonkeys has, or a 390 CFM Holley 4 barrel.
The 2 barrel 350 CFM is giving the engine a large dose of juice all the time, while the 38/38 or 390 has much smaller venturis.

·
Boozebag
9,041 Posts

·
Pop A Lockin and droppin
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok gonna do the weber carb then.
I already have the manifold for the 2 barrel dont wanna spend more money to get the 4 barrel adapter.

·
Boozebag
9,041 Posts

·
4 Year Intermediate Tech
1,829 Posts
Also final note on the weber. Watch out for faked carbs. A genuine weber will have the name cast into the accelerator pump housing and the flat bowl. I paid about 347$ for mine new. Fakes will have a weber sticker. And no casting marks.

·
Boozebag
9,041 Posts
Also final note on the weber. Watch out for faked carbs. A genuine weber will have the name cast into the accelerator pump housing and the flat bowl. I paid about 347$ for mine new. Fakes will have a weber sticker. And no casting marks.
WOW... Chinese knock offs... what next?

·
4 Year Intermediate Tech
1,829 Posts
I know it's bad

·
4 Year Intermediate Tech
1,829 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts