S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1988 chevy s10 Tahoe 2.8L
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys so I took my 88 s10 tahoe for the first test drive yesterday after putting in a transmission and new front brakes and hub assemblies. And he did great other than the right calioer trying to lock up but i bought some new ones for it. My question is who knows what I can do to kind of bring him back to life with a little more power and put some pep in his step. He just seems kinda sluggish on take off. Any suggestions that aren't too crazy?

·
Registered
177 Posts
When you replace the calipers, make sure you replace the hoses, too. They can deteriorate internally and cause exactly what you described. And I don't know what your definition of "too crazy" is, but the best way to make your vehicle feel peppier, IMO, is to install lower ratio gears in the axle(s).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotcha. Any ideas on what I can do for engine performance? Ive seen people do open filters or cold air intake but idk if you wanna go throwing a cold air intake on a 88 s10 with 259,000 miles

·
Registered
177 Posts
Gotcha. Any ideas on what I can do for engine performance? Ive seen people do open filters or cold air intake but idk if you wanna go throwing a cold air intake on a 88 s10 with 259,000 miles
Most of those cold air intakes don't really do very much. Proper gearing, even though it gives you no HP increase, will make a much bigger difference on the butt dyno.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,041 Posts
a full PM with fresh fluids,plugs, cap and rotor- and ALL the filters- check your tires for correct pressure... the everyday things will make a bit of difference. And as stated above- the Cold Air Intake Kits do little to nothing except empty your wallet quicker.And 239k is not bad- just had to retire my '94-285k, but it was cancer(live in New Hampshire) ,terminal frame rot- nothing left to weld to.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited by Moderator)
a full PM with fresh fluids,plugs, cap and rotor- and ALL the filters- check your tires for correct pressure... the everyday things will make a bit of difference. And as stated above- the Cold Air Intake Kits do little to nothing except empty your wallet quicker.And 239k is not bad- just had to retire my '94-285k, but it was cancer(live in New Hampshire) ,terminal frame rot- nothing left to weld to.....
Man that sucks sorry you had to do that

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nothing positive. It just sucks in hot under hood air.
True but it Would probably be better than the restriction it has now with the small tunnel going to the grill though. Might have to do an experiment

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,233 Posts
Go ahead and reinvent the wheel. You asked for advice..we gave it to you. It's a 2.8 with 259K...most probably near the end of its life.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Go ahead and reinvent the wheel. You asked for advice..we gave it to you. It's a 2.8 with 259K...most probably near the end of its life.
Obviously you can't have a conversation without being a douchebag. I simply had a rebuttle to youre answer and youre getting all bent out of shape? I'm a mechanic for living man. If you csnt have a simple conversation about experimenting with intakes then why are you here?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not everyone knows everything about every vehicle. As long as vehicles are youre hobby you will ALWAYS have questions and if youre not asking questions then youre not learning. No one will EVER know EVERYTHING.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,041 Posts
ok- hate to say but- Rhot does know his air holes- the factory snorkel that goes thru the radiator support is sized for the amout of air your eninge can pass at WOT.The better way to improve air flow is at the OTHER end- 2 1/2 pipe, high flow cat(if required in your local area) and a performance muffler.There are quite a few of us old dirty wrenches on here that come off snarky BECAUSE we have seen it/been there /tried this that and the other thing.The CAI kits are like that magnet thing for the fuel line or the little tiny metal "Tornado"intake enhancher.

Reactions: Frank Bukowski

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,041 Posts
falls into the "Get off my lawn!" catagory- you ask - we answer for the umpenth time and then get told we dont know crap from chocolate pudding- so you get the 'tude in our responses.....

Reactions: Frank Bukowski

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Look man i get that y'all have probably answered the same questions a million times and I mean no disrespect to anybody. I try to find threads that may answer my question before I start a new discussion. Im not here to argue with anyone I am open to all kinds of opinions I'm just spitballing from things ive seen people do to their s10's and curious to see if anyone else has tried and what the end result was. I know in general rule the more air flow the better. I can see where an open air filter would be sucking in hot under hood air like " Rhotpursuit" said but I just feel like the stock system it has could be improved. But like I said I might do an experiment with it and see how it goes.

·
time to get cereal
3,209 Posts
You don't have to know everything about every vehicle to know what to do to improve performance. The intake argument is all over the internet...

Realistically though, unless you put a 3.4 in, change gearing, switch to a manual if you have an automatic, you are not going to notice much of a difference.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmm okay I appreciate all the info. By the way where did you come up with "manbearpig" if you don't mind me asking
You don't have to know everything about every vehicle to know what to do to improve performance. The intake argument is all over the internet...

Realistically though, unless you put a 3.4 in, change gearing, switch to a manual if you have an automatic, you are not going to notice much of a difference.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts