S-10 Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'm thinking the difference between the 99 and 2000 may only be that the cats are separate pieces on the 99 and on the 2000 up they are welded on to make it one piece so there is a good chance the Magnaflow would fit your 99. Keep in mind these are all mandrel bends and all stainless steel so it should last longer than the rest of your truck.
I really would be fine paying the price of the magnaflow but my truck is a manual 4x4 and if i spend that much im not going to want to modify it also. I could have one made locally but its not going to be mandrel bent which would restrict flow.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The one i posted earlier is 2 1/2 mandrel bent and at least would save a couple hrs of shop labor in building the y pipe

·
B4U Task Force Admin
29,546 Posts
The 4.3 isbn't a powerhouse by any means to begin with. The difference in power between mandrel bent and a regular bend probably wouldn't be noticeable. You would probably benefit from a larger pipe...mandrel or otherwise.

Reactions: Joe Cool

·
Registered
403 Posts
How much difference is there on the y pipe between the s10 and 1500 both with the 4.3? I found this y pipe that is larger diameter. My exhaust guy said he could probably make it work but wasn't sure

That depends on how different they are. If it just needed a slight bend here or there or a little bit of length removed it wouldn't be that bad

Thisnis the question i am asking. I haven't found an aftermarket performance y pipe for my 99 or i would buy it.

I was responding to you asking if the 1500 exhaust manifold would work on an S10, and if not, how much work was needed to make it work. I agree, a standalone Y pipe will be most ideal. This is why I posted the issues and cost that may happen if you try to make something not designed for your truck work.

Yes, MagnaFlow is probably the best option for a complete Y, but expensive, and like Goes2fast said, MagnaFlow shows the later model S10 Y pipe on their website so it won't mount right up. I would think a competent shop could match it to your exhaust. But that would be extra cost.

Like was stated before, If you want a performance Y pipe, there aren't any easy, cheap options. You will likely have to go with the expensive part, and make it work, or have a shop make one for you. Having a 2" Y pipe and a high flow cat in my truck, I can say it was well worth the trouble and I would do it again. But I would definitely have a shop do the job next time.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I see your truck is a 4x4 manual, so that does add a kink to the selection process. I'm not sure how different the 4x4 Y is from my 2wd, so can't help you there. Does your truck have the smashed pipe under the transmission like the 2wd trucks do? Both my '96 and '03 had it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The 4.3 isbn't a powerhouse by any means to begin with. The difference in power between mandrel bent and a regular bend probably wouldn't be noticeable. You would probably benefit from a larger pipe...mandrel or otherwise.
This is what I experienced. The pipe where it connects with the manifolds chokes down to 1.25" ID. Even as crude as my welding and bend angles were, just going to a 2" pipe was noticeable.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts