S-10 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have read everything I could on this subject and I am stuck where no one else in the past has been stuck. First, I have a 2001 GMC Sonoma 4.3 4X4. I have the lower Ball joint drilled out and loose. As I use my floor jack to lift the lower A arm, I am restricted by the Drive Axle. There just isn’t enough room to pull out the lower ball joint. The lower A Arm pushes up to the Drive Axle. (I’m on the passenger side front.)

Chilton Says, I need to remove the Drive Axle by hitting the inner part of the tri-pot housing to release the snap rings. I have hit where I think I should hit. I have pried and pulled on the shaft where I think I should. If I try to pry or pull the shaft, I can pull it out about ¾ of an inch and it stops. Where it is seperating is after the boot or after what i think it the tri-pot housing right before what looks like a axle tube. This is where it is stuck. I don’t want to damage anything and it looks like the axle it getting pulled out of the axle tube.

Looks like I am missing work tomorrow. Any help or tips will be greatly appreciated!!!!
-Doug

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My question:

Should I try to keep prying at this point or should I undo the clip that looks like it keeps the boot on on the inner drive axle? How far do I need to pry before I can slide it down and pull the outer part out of the HUB?

If I get this obstacle cleared, I will be able to put my truck back together.
-Doug

1 - 3 of 3 Posts