S-10 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm doing my S10 as old-skool shop truck style. White body, orange steel wheels, mexican blanket seats. A friend of mine that owns a street rod shop suggested to patina the exterior. My wife thinks it would look good, but I'm on the fence.

As the truck sits now, white std cab/short bed, stock wheels painted orange with 40 Ford trim rings and center caps chromed, black vinyl tonneau cover, 2" drop front & rear, stock front tires & 265/75R15 rear tires for rake, mita mirrors, handles painted body color and a Jenna Jamison doll on the antenna.
I'm changing over the headlights & grille to Blazer composites

So, what do I do?

·
Uni-Joint Snapper
792 Posts
Define patina, I think it should be flat black if you want a shop/parts runner style old school truck.

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
the patina look has a weathered look

why people want to make there vehicles look like rusty pieces of shit is beyond my comprehension

·
Mud Master
740 Posts
Real Patina can be cool on old cars/hot rods. Faking patina is one of the stupid things you can do in my opinion. Do it right and make it/keep it shiney.

·
Registered
223 Posts
What kind of patina?
Rusty sheetmetal? Copper?

Copper patina would look pretty cool... faded green to copper color...

·
Custom Painter
1,873 Posts
the patina look has a weathered look

why people want to make there vehicles look like rusty pieces of shit is beyond my comprehension

well when done on a fiberglass rod, after making it fenderless apnd trying to make it into a rat rod, and fool people and give it fake rust, that is BADASS.

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
i guess it's an acquired taste

i see absolutely nothing bad ass about how rust looks.....,i think rust is hideous looking...just my opinion

·
Custom Painter
1,873 Posts

heres my patina logo, 600 bucks worth.

reason its there is to cover up what was on it, it was cricket in spanish.

no i didnt do the striping on the left, but it sucked, the lines didnt come together clean and some werent connected, damn if only i did it before this guy ****ed it up lol.

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
and that looks like shit

·
Startin' From Scratch
691 Posts
Agreed that does look like shit, and i actually like some patina. I was thinking of maby a flat pale/faded yellow with a patina, but that's just me. I think for patina to look good the colors of the paint have to compliment it.

·
Uni-Joint Snapper
792 Posts
My girls brother has a 31 ford, it looked bad ass when he had it rollin just after getting it running (rust)... now hes getting it prepped for paint and it will look sick, but I liked it better rusty. but thats a rat-rod, not an s10

·
Damn right I'm a maniac.
9,571 Posts
For "real" patina, you could just take a wirewheel to the whole body, then spray it down with the hose. Rust will pop up within a few hours. Hope you don't plan on keeping the truck too long tho :eek:

·
is dekitted...
1,826 Posts
Why do minitruckers do this, I dont understand. Take a perfectly good paint job truck, and primer the whole thing for years, or pay to have this shit done. I don't want my truck looking like a pos rust bucket.

·
Banned
2,361 Posts
theres a couple shops in my town (warner robins) that builds "rat rods" out of newer cars and truck afterhours... they look alright, there not patina theyre more flat black with colored wheels or flat blue with colored wheels. havnt seen them do an s10 yet, but plenty of mazdas, yotas, and nissans

1 - 17 of 17 Posts