S-10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey do these really make a difference in a system setup. my box i have in my blazer is made for 6 subs. i have four of them powered and the other two arent, honestly i have so much bass i dont know if there any change of sound. all six subs are jl 12w6's, my box is a dual chamber with three subs in each chamber, so i have one radiator in each chamber

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
my problem is, i need to build another box for my subs. the box i have right now what built for 4 w3's and 2 wo's. i modified the back section to just to put the w6's in. i dont plan on leaving it that way. i dont have a third amp as of right now. thats why there not powered

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea i cant wait. but right now i dont have a work shop, i just moved from dallas to west virginia back in march so all of my tools are strung out every but my house. its pretty bad ass right now with just the four.

·
NOS make light brighter!
1,480 Posts
If it is pretty bad as with the four, why bother with the other two? Keep them as spares.
If you keep them in the enclosure, the suspensions should be good and broke in before the first lick of power is applied. :D

Don't assume building another enclosure will sound "better" than the enclosure it is in now. It will definitely sound different, but better isn't a guarantee. Try removing the two subs and blocking off the holes with another piece of MDF. If it sounds good to you, leave the enclosure alone.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just cause, i know what it will do right now, and once i get the other two hooked up and going it should be alot louder than it is right now. u can never have to much bass.

·
Sparks Light Up My World
629 Posts
arent passive radiators supposed to be speakers with no voice coil or no motor to improve sound quality? they are meant to make speaker or to tune the box lower. so when you are running 4 12's i dont think your going for sq?
correct me if im wrong. i think thats what their supposed to be used for

·
They took our jorbs.
3,797 Posts
arent passive radiators supposed to be speakers with no voice coil or no motor to improve sound quality? they are meant to make speaker or to tune the box lower. so when you are running 4 12's i dont think your going for sq?
You are very close to wrong....

Keeping two subs in one chamber caused one of mine to blow last time I did that..

And those were just $50 subs, I'd never do it with a set of JL's
True, that can happen, but thats not always the case.

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
the motor creates resistance.....the suspension creates resistance....if the radiator even has a spider it is not as restrictive as what is on a driver and you add mass via weights to a threaded shaft to create your loading(i.e.tuning).....and you can get phenomonal sq out of a passive setup....with the depth of a ported system but the smoothness of a sealed system

·
Sparks Light Up My World
629 Posts
the motor creates resistance.....the suspension creates resistance....if the radiator even has a spider it is not as restrictive as what is on a driver and you add mass via weights to a threaded shaft to create your loading(i.e.tuning).....and you can get phenomonal sq out of a passive setup....with the depth of a ported system but the smoothness of a sealed system
I see, so buy one of those if your going to do a passive radiator, not use a actual sub. and tspears....what do you mean by "you dont know what my system can do"

like transform? cause that would not be a half ass install

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
if you are going to use all 6 with 3 amps make a 3 chamber box. If you use 3 amps with 2 chambers the "mis-matched" subs will be fighting the other a little causing stress on the speakers and over time can blow. Even if you take a dmm and match the gains on the amps there is a little variance that something can happen over time. I know if I had W6's i would not want to block them.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yea thats my plan when i build a new box. the box i have right now was a 3 chamber box, i had to modify it to get the two w6's in where the wo's was.

if you are going to use all 6 with 3 amps make a 3 chamber box. If you use 3 amps with 2 chambers the "mis-matched" subs will be fighting the other a little causing stress on the speakers and over time can blow. Even if you take a dmm and match the gains on the amps there is a little variance that something can happen over time. I know if I had W6's i would not want to block them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts