S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well while in the process of taking my dash bezel off, somehow i ****ed up the airbag switch...and it broke...now i got the dummy light om all the time and the face barley stays on, its not connected or anything and the whole thing is messed up. where can i get a new setup? the dealer wants like 200 bucks for the little chip that plugs in. if i went to the junk yard and pulled on off a wrecked s-10 could i just pull the whole section out and repalce it?

·
"GOT RICE?"
271 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but when it comes to something like that I would want to buy a new one. $200 bucks for a brand new airbag switch that might save your life one day?? I think its worth it..thats just me though!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i dont know if its stuck on or off...the dummy light is on, and it is the passenger side, and i hardly have a passenger...but im wondering if a junk yard will fit it ok or if its programmed to my vin or what.

·
"GOT RICE?"
271 Posts
If you can find one great..not sure about them being programed to your VIN though? I doubt you'd find one in a junk yard because things like that(saftey features) are probably removed just becuase they might have damage from the previous accident., you know what I'm saying. I wouldn't want to buy a safety feature from a junkyard just incase the switch doesn't work. Its your call though.

·
I BURN THINGS
5,880 Posts
If you can find a used switch in a junk yard go for it. It will save you a few bucks, just check it over for any damage. The only problem is you still have to have the Air Bag light rest on your truck. That is where the $200 from the dealer comes in. It's your call if you feel more comfortable with a new swicth than do that!

·
Banned
6,652 Posts
Do yourself a favor! Buy it from the dealership!!!!!!! DO NOT BUY IT FROM A JUNKYARD!!!

Why? #1 - Dealership item is almost guaranteed not to be defective. If it proves to be defective, boom, you got a lawsuit.

#2 - What's gonna happen if the junkyard special is defective?

·
Self Portrait
1,634 Posts
If the junkyard special is defective...Boom....You got a lawsuit...GM will never know! If you buy it from the dealership then they have a record of you buying and if it doesn't go off they say that you messed it up!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts