S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Advanced Life Form
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, doing the head gasket thing...
2000 2.2l s-10
Other then the head gasket, and getting the heads checked/milled, what other things will i need to buy?
As in what other gaskets and things will i mess up getting all the stuff off?
I have hi temp silicone sealant, but that's about all i have on hand.

And if i completely drain the coolant, do i really need to pull the water pump??

Keep in mind i can only spend what I have to to get her back on the road.
So i cannot afford any "while im in there's"

·
Registered
457 Posts
OK, doing the head gasket thing...
2000 2.2l s-10
Other then the head gasket, and getting the heads checked/milled, what other things will i need to buy?
As in what other gaskets and things will i mess up getting all the stuff off?
I have hi temp silicone sealant, but that's about all i have on hand.

And if i completely drain the coolant, do i really need to pull the water pump??

Keep in mind i can only spend what I have to to get her back on the road.
So i cannot afford any "while im in there's"
You'll need to pull the upper pullies,power steering pump,exhaust manifold,EGR(will probably need a new gasket for it),Intake manifold, It would help alot if you pulled the fan shroud also. If you want you can buy a head gasket set for like 100 bucks, should have everything you need. I bought it and did'nt even have to use them all, I did replace a lot of them though just for the heck of it and held on to the rest.

·
Registered
15 Posts
head set
NEW HEAD BOLTS, not included in 99% of head sets
thermostat (cheap insurance)
green anti freeze, screw dexcrap

tools
inch pound and foot pound torque wrench
line wrenches help but if you're careful not needed
black rtv
red loctite
wd40 or pb blaster for any stuck bolts

the head bolts get set to a certain torque plus 90 degrees, Gm has a Jtool for this or you can mark the head and make a quarter turn. good luck, its rather straight forward

·
Banned
9,778 Posts
what the hell is with people blowing their 2.2l head gaskets lately?

Head bolts, a head gasket set, some time and patience, thread locker, and a torque wrench. I bought a chiltons manual but you don't really need it, all you need are the head bolt torque specs and torque pattern

and you should probably replace your thermostat and water pump while you're at it... if you're gonna do the water pump, use water pump specific silicone instead of a gasket

·
Registered
457 Posts
what the hell is with people blowing their 2.2l head gaskets lately?

Head bolts, a head gasket set, some time and patience, thread locker, and a torque wrench. I bought a chiltons manual but you don't really need it, all you need are the head bolt torque specs and torque pattern

and you should probably replace your thermostat and water pump while you're at it... if you're gonna do the water pump, use water pump specific silicone instead of a gasket
Head gaskets blow, Do you expect them to last forever?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Id put some extra money away just incase you break something either removing or installing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts