S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got his wipers working now. i am working on the parking brakes next. i pull up on the handle and it gets tight but the wheels don't slow down. as soon as dad gets some free time i need to pull off his back wheels and check the internal parts. i can check the cables anytime but i don't know where they run. not sure where to put this inquiry but body sounds close.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Cables run on the outside of the frame on the driver side of the truck.

Are you pulling up on the release handle down and left from the steering wheel? That's the release handle.

The pedal on the far left is what sets the parking brake. Push it to the floor to activate. Pull on that handle to release.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think dad is pushing on the parking brake pedal and it feels like it is working but it doesn't hold.

·
Been there Done it
7,820 Posts
There is an adjuster on the cables near the back where it transitions from the front cable to the rear two. It's usually rusty so some PB Blaster and some patience helps. Tighten it a little at a time, but always check that there is some slack in the cable when released. You don't want it so tight it drags the brake shoes even when released. Your rear brake shoes could also be worn out. Or everything back there inside the drum is rusty and no longer functioning properly.
Unless you have rear disc brakes???
Helps if you put year, model, engine, trans, 2 or 4wd in the first post of a new discussion.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The rear drums have an adjusting wheel for the parking brakes. They're supposed to auto-adjust, in theory, but it doesn't always work right. If the cable is nice and tight when the parking brake is applied, try adjusting the wheels. Alternatively, if I recall correctly, the auto-adjusting works when braking above a certain speed in reverse. You could try jacking up the rear end, accelerating to 15mph or so in reverse, and smashing the brakes a few times. Repeat until the parking brake holds on a hill.

·
time to get cereal
2,448 Posts
I don't think it works with the rear jacked up, you need the weight of the vehicle stopping to have the adjusters do their thing. If it doesn't seem to be working spray some brake clean into the hole on the back of the brake (you have to remove the little rubber plug first of course)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the truck is a 2003 s10 2wd not sure if it is drum or disc and yes i have a brake spoon. when i tried to take off the rear wheels they were over tight and if i remember right they are drum brakes but i am a man and my memory isn't the best. just ask my wife.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts