S-10 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of ss mirrors that i have had on for about 4 years now. Of coarse, they faded after about six months. i have been getting some minor body work done and and taking my truck in to get the front end repainted and i threw the idea at my body work guy of painting the mirrors and he said he has done it but they peeled and chipped like crazy. But i see them painted on the road all the time. i have been searching forums for about a week now and haven't found anything solid as to it being a good idea or bad. Any thoughs?

·
AcrophobiA CEN-CAL
1,893 Posts
If done right there shouldn't be a problem. I just clean like crazy, scuff, Adhesion promoter, base, then clear. If you want to make sure it sticks you can prime first just make sure to use the adhesion promoter and it should be fine. I do that to all my front valances and I've never had a problem. They will chip if the get hit with something but they shouldn't peel.

·
former owner
7,389 Posts
heh, I rattle canned mine white with Rustoleum Auto almost a year and a half ago and they seem fine. Obviously, you're gonna get small chips eventually because rocks are unforgiving at highway speeds.

·
former owner
7,389 Posts
well, yeah ... sanded a lot and made sure to touch them as little as possible with the skin of my hands. I sanded down the previous owner's paint job and sprayed over that. That's part of it, too. I left that out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool, thanx guys. I think that my paint guy just doesn't want to do the prep work. i will prob just sand and prep em, go to his shop with em and say "spray here, biotch"

·
Sweet n Low
1,169 Posts
Burton said:
If done right there shouldn't be a problem. I just clean like crazy, scuff, Adhesion promoter, base, then clear. If you want to make sure it sticks you can prime first just make sure to use the adhesion promoter and it should be fine. I do that to all my front valances and I've never had a problem. They will chip if the get hit with something but they shouldn't peel.
just got my ss mirrors and plan on using duplicolor spray can products to paint them, including the adhesion promoter and a clear top coat. when you say to scuff the mirror before spraying the adhesion promoter, what grit should be used? maybe 320? :dunno:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts