S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Kramerica Industries
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever painted their plastic plenum? What kind of paint did you use and how did it come out?

I'm thinking of whipping out some spray paint, but I don't know how well that sticks to plastic...

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Good etching flexible primer and flexible paint. I did mine base coat, clear coat and they came out very clean looking!!

·
Kramerica Industries
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, 96, so I need to prime first?
IF I don't have etching primer can I rough it up with sandpaper, use normal primer, then paint? Or is etching primer really necissary?

I'm not going for ultra smooth gloss here, I just want to dress it up a little.

·
Kramerica Industries
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Plus I'm lazy.

·
Registered
136 Posts
primer is very important, no matter how many clear coats you have, without primer it will come off eventually, and it looks ghetto

·
Kramerica Industries
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whoops! I didn't realise this was in the engine forum....kind of off topic....

Anyway, I heard about this Krylon 'Fusion' spray paint that is chemically engineered to bond with plastic. No primer or sanding is necissary, supposedly.

I'm going to pick some up tomorrow, I'll tell you how it goes.

·
The Dave Inc.
11,720 Posts
i used that first in black then i sprayed annodized blue but it doesnt show well

·
Kramerica Industries
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You mean the black shows through the blue, or it just looks poor?
How many coats did you use?
Did you clear coat?

Pictures of result?

·
Kramerica Industries
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Huh. Looks like it didn't bond too well on some parts of the plenum...wierd.

How many coats was that?

·
Working Hard at Life
877 Posts
Anyone else with Intake painted pics? Good topic! I was going to do the same. What i WAS going to do was take off my K&N FIPK, sand with 60 grit, then 120, then 400.....add primmer, sand with 400, then 800, primmer, 1200, clean paint, paint, paint, sand with 2000 then clear clear clear.

Im thinking pewter paint....to match my truck...what do you think? My other friend says red if I am going to smooth it out that much. I was thinking of just keeping everything the same color. BTW i have access to a spray gun.

Whats this 'flexible' paint i heard about above? Thats the first i have ever heard of it.

Thanks in Advance and happy new years guys......be safe!!!!!!

Derek

·
Kramerica Industries
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This 'Fusion' stuff I'm using says not to sand, just clean with ammonia cleanser before you paint. So I didn't sand or prime, I just painted.

I started with the PVC pipe on my homemade intake this afternoon, paint bonds great-just follow the directions.

The only problem was I wanted blue and the only blue my local micheals had was 'patriotic blue'. It has turned out to be kind of light for my tastes, but it is darkening as it drys, so we'll see.

I'm going to paint my plenum tomorrow. Once everything drys and is re-installed I'll have some pics for you guys.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
98 Pewter Sonoma said:
Anyone else with Intake painted pics? Good topic! I was going to do the same. What i WAS going to do was take off my K&N FIPK, sand with 60 grit, then 120, then 400.....add primmer, sand with 400, then 800, primmer, 1200, clean paint, paint, paint, sand with 2000 then clear clear clear.

Im thinking pewter paint....to match my truck...what do you think? My other friend says red if I am going to smooth it out that much. I was thinking of just keeping everything the same color. BTW i have access to a spray gun.

Whats this 'flexible' paint i heard about above? Thats the first i have ever heard of it.

Thanks in Advance and happy new years guys......be safe!!!!!!

Derek
If you sand the plastic it'll look like its been sanded, by the time you got back to smooth it would be paper thin. Flex paint has and additive in it that allows the paint to flex under heat to cold conditions and semi bending. You can have any paint have flex additive in it. The etching primer just has additives in it that kinda melt into the plastic allowing better adhesion. Alot of interior primers and paints are made in this fashion, but any automotive paint you bought could have these added in from free to a slight charge!

·
Kramerica Industries
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Painted!

Here's what it looks like unpainted, and painted, I think it came out well--It is a little lighter than I would have liked though.

I also managed to scratch it putting it in, I only let it dry 24 hrs, but it takes 7 days to become chip resistant, according to the package. I'll touch it up some time.

Attachments

·
Working Hard at Life
877 Posts
hey, FRS, the painted looks good man.....better than the black
Thanks for the before and after pics?

964pt3, you think the plastic will get that thin?? I just want to scuff it enough for good paint adhersion and more of a flat, smooth surface. The K&N FIPK is rather think plastic.....i doubt it would be paper thin if i sand it a few times. But you may know more on the subject than I.

Any comments on color? Im thinking pewter, but others say red. Thanks

·
Kramerica Industries
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like the Krylon Fusion stuff I used b/c it doesn't require sanding...but be warned that any scratches/imperfections in the plastic will show through the paint.

The PVC pipe I used was just some scrap, so it had some scratches on it which are evident in the finish.
I wasn't looking for a perfect high-gloss finish anyway-so I just put the scratched side down.

If you want a real high quality job, your going to have to prime, probably with the etching stuff 964pt3 mentioned. A couple of good, smooth coats of primer will cover the imperfections of the plastic, resulting in a very high quality paint job.

It would probably be best to use flex paint, as 96 describes, b/c the engine compartment gets hot while you drive and cold while you're parked, therefore the thermal flexing ablities of this paint could be useful. It remains to be seen if my spray paint job will just flake off b/c of the temperature swings.

But I hope it will hang on!

·
Kramerica Industries
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh yeah, as for color...I picked blue b/c my blazer is blue (albeit much darker). My only other choice would have been gloss black, but I like the look of the blue so far.

The key (IMO) is to pick a color that is on your truck somewhere else.
For example, if your truck is pewter, I wouldn't choose red unless you had some kind of red racing stripe down the side. Then again, I don't think I'd pick pewter either b/c I don't think it's bright enough...But it's really a matter of personal choice.

Maybe some pics of your truck would help....and what color is your interior?

·
Working Hard at Life
877 Posts
Pewter Exterior and Interior.....its almost the same inside and out......but the plastic is already black. Red or Pewter are what i have decided on. Any other color just looks weird with the factory color.

·
Kramerica Industries
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can't really picture what factory pewter looks like, but anyway, if you like it go for it!

You know what would go better than I.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts