S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
NEVER ENOUGH
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was woundering if anyone had any tips on painting Chrome wheels I want to paint the back and insides of the wheel and leave the face Chrome. I know how to paint I just never painted wheels before. SO if anyone has done this or know somone that has that can help me out that would be great.

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
what I found online,

"RE: Painting Over Chrome

no, you will not get paint or normal primers to stay on chrome, it will just fall of when dry, before you apply primer & top coat, a chrome surface needs a coat of "2pack etch" which is poisonous & best left to professionals.
"

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf001394.tip.html

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
"A 'chrome bumper' is actually a steel bumper that has been nickel plated and then chromium plated. Chrome is notorious for poor paintability. Most paints will not "wet" it, and will not adhere at all. If you were to strip the chrome, and then roughen the nickel with fine sandpaper, I believe the paint would stick good enough to satisfy most people.

Stripping the chrome with hydrochloric acid is fast and effective, but dangerous, and leaves you with acid to dispose of. It would be best to have a plating shop strip it for you. They could also strip the nickel (which you cannot do yourself), getting your bumper down to bare steel if you wish.

"

http://www.finishing.com/267/77.shtml

·
Founding member of DA
5,240 Posts
get it powdercoated

·
Registered
388 Posts
Powdercoating does stick to chrome. It's baked on plastic particles. I wouldn't want to go any other rout with wheels due to rock chips and break dust.

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
Little Red Sled said:
Powdercoating does stick to chrome. It's baked on plastic particles. I wouldn't want to go any other rout with wheels due to rock chips and break dust.

correct.

·
Gone but not forgotten
5,882 Posts
Nvr_Engh said:
Well does anyone watch the show Whips? On the speed channel? They painted the rims with the tirs still on the rims I thought maybe they came out with a new product or somthing. Thank you for all your help guys.
They may have used the acid DJD found to clean em first.. they just may not have shown them doing the process. OR they just dont know any better either..:p

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
do you guys realize how dangerous that acid is? When i have to use it here at work, i get suited up with latex gloves, full arm lenght gloves, lab coat, rubber spron, and a full face shield... not to mention its only used in a vent hood since the fumes are very dangerous... not to mention it has to be delouted and washed down a acid drain.....so basicly not shit i'd want to be working with out in the driveway. :haha:

as for the chrom wheels... what if ya sand blasted them?

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
98layinframe said:
do you guys realize how dangerous that acid is? When i have to use it here at work, i get suited up with latex gloves, full arm lenght gloves, lab coat, rubber spron, and a full face shield... not to mention its only used in a vent hood since the fumes are very dangerous... not to mention it has to be delouted and washed down a acid drain.....so basicly not shit i'd want to be working with out in the driveway. :haha:

as for the chrom wheels... what if ya sand blasted them?

:eek: ha ha,

sand blast was also suggested on outher forums seems to be the best option,

But in your case seam line between blasted and shrome would be a weak point for chipping.

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
DJDAudio said:
I honestly dont think ya need all that much protection with hydrochloric acid, but considering i also use hydroFloric acid in the same area... yeah, your damn right im using all that protection as a miminum. To put it simple with the floric acid.. what ever it touches on your skin, your losing that part. :eek:

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
98layinframe said:
I honestly dont think ya need all that much protection with hydrochloric acid, but considering i also use hydroFloric acid in the same area... yeah, your damn right im using all that protection as a miminum. To put it simple with the floric acid.. what ever it touches on your skin, your losing that part. :eek:

I want your job :D

·
AcrophobiA CEN-CAL
1,893 Posts
Actually you can paint directly to chrome using adhesion promoters and/or special clear coats. I'm working on a test now actually. The reps from House of Kolor tell me I can use AP-01 then use a clear coat and it will stick. I just need to add what ever color I want... the problem for me is the Kandies I want to use streak real easy and I've only got one chance.

I'll be testing out a "smoked" color soon on a chrome tank then probably doing a Tangelo kandy over my own rims before trying a customers...

Alsa also makes a "clear for chrome" but I've been having trouble trying to secure some strait from the manufacturer so I'm trying the HoK stuff first.

·
AcrophobiA CEN-CAL
1,893 Posts
A direct quote from Bryan Lynch (House of Kolor Rep)

Check out the AP01 from HOK for use on Chrome. It provides adhesion to put any of the HOK Kandies, bases, or clears directly on Chrome without sanding. It also does Aluminum, other metals, and most plastics

1 - 20 of 24 Posts