S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
/=||=/
Joined
·
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what paint should I use for painting the plastic portion of the panel.... I finished one panel last night and it looked great. then the paint chipped off and didnt even stick to the plastic portion really.

Any thoughts on this? Should I 1500grit sand it first to help it stick or is there a type of paint I should be using? I was using interior vinyl and fabric spray paint... I'm guessing that is what was wrong.
 

·
want my #... 911 beotch!!
Joined
·
2,186 Posts
well, i am doing the same thing only i want my pannels smooth. so what i am doing is a 3 stage sanding job to nock the grain off. i am using automotive paint, primer, color, then clear. i ahve painted other plastic pieces with no chipping at all, so if you need help just ask!:thumbup:
 

·
/=||=/
Joined
·
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
since I'm gonna have to repaint it due to the cracking... I am thinking about just building out the panel with foam board to smooth it and make my own designs...

think it will work? heheh. then I can either fiberglass over the foam board and make a shell, then paint that, or just carpet/tweed the foam board over .

I've decided that painting it just won't due. It's time to ditch the panels for a while and rebuild them completely custom. I guess I'm booked this next weekend already... damn :evilg:

Anyone have tips/thoughts to share or has anyone ever tried this?
 

·
/=||=/
Joined
·
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MightyMouseJ5 said:
well, i am doing the same thing only i want my pannels smooth. so what i am doing is a 3 stage sanding job to nock the grain off. i am using automotive paint, primer, color, then clear. i ahve painted other plastic pieces with no chipping at all, so if you need help just ask!:thumbup:
also to ask... automotive paint... you talking enamel paint that you'd use on the outside body too?
 

·
want my #... 911 beotch!!
Joined
·
2,186 Posts
Kalgor said:


also to ask... automotive paint... you talking enamel paint that you'd use on the outside body too?
yup, dupli-color to be exact
 

·
Audi Tech
Joined
·
2,485 Posts
Kalgor said:
think it will work? heheh. then I can either fiberglass over the foam board and make a shell, then paint that, or just carpet/tweed the foam board over .

ok, i've seen painted interiors, painted my brothers interior with him, also done a fair share of fiberglassing. 1st off, go buy urself some 3M adhesive and wax remover. clean ur pannels with this. now you can do some sanding and clean again with the 3M. you should buy a plastic bonding paint. this can be found at auto stores. this stuff kinda bonds to the plastic that will help the paint adhere to the plastic. a good brand to find is SEM paint. its a 2 part, bonding and color. for fiberglass, ya can't glass over foam, the resin will eat it right up. you can use aluminum foil, thats waxed. if you want to get really good. go build a form, wrap your pannel, and get plaster of paris, make a mold of your door pannel. then put a gel coat in the inside, make it smooth. then cover with a release agent. then lay your fiberglass in the mold. you can also build a wood frame, and also use cardboard.
 

·
/=||=/
Joined
·
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks stealthx. yeah i was gonna use the foam board and wrap that in aluminum foil. foam just for the stiffness.

gonna buy some toys after work today :D
 

·
Audi Tech
Joined
·
2,485 Posts
Kalgor said:
thanks stealthx. yeah i was gonna use the foam board and wrap that in aluminum foil. foam just for the stiffness.

gonna buy some toys after work today :D
no prob, just do some practice, get the hang of how much hardner u use. buy plenty of cheap paint brushes. i use small 5oz dixie cups to mix it. also if you get some thin wood strips, you can cut them, use hot glue to hold the wood and streetch and use hot glue to hold the fiberglass material to the form.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top