S-10 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my hot rod flatz paint in the other day had my truck all prepped with fresh primer and when i was spraying the black its not smooth once its dried. I tried adjusting the fan on the gun to like 5 inches and i have my trigger at like half. I mixed the paint 16:1 like it said its just not coming out like i thought it would. Anyone had this problem? Maybe i'm doing something wrong.

Thanks

Jamie

·
Frame Laying Member
2,068 Posts
I don't know much about the hot rod flatz paint but with other paint you can usually just at a dab of thinner/reducer to it, helps smooth it out a bit.

·
S10LuvR
105 Posts
yea if the extra thinner doesnt help you might wanna try and move your gun in a little (6" works best for me for HVLP) and might wanna try and either slow down your passes or open up the material knob so you get more fluid, if you spray it to dry its really rough. Though i've never used the hot rod flatz before just BC/CC and single stage enamals. most flat paints i've seen aren't really smooth to begin with, if they where they'd be shiny :)

Spray a test panel first though!!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya the paint comes with a hardener and thats all. I'll try spraying it a little thicker and maybe it will come out smoother. I wish i could see a truck hot rod black up close to see if it looks the same.

Thanks

Jamie

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya i think putting a thick layer on without runs is a good idea. I'm thinking it will look alot better doing it that way.

·
Imports are bad mmm'kay
1,044 Posts
If by not laying smooth you mean you're having a problem with orange peel, reduce the paint a little to make it a tad thinner and reduce your air pressure. The higher the air pressure the paint is sprayed at the more orange peel you'll have.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think thats what is happening with my paint. I did have the pressure up around 60 psi so maybe i should drop it down to 40 or so. I didn't really know what orange peel was until a just saw a picture of it and thats kinda what my paint looks like. Is it a good idea to use a reducer in the paint when your only supposed to add hardener to it?

·
S10LuvR
105 Posts
Yea you can add some reducer to it but I wouldnt add a lot, no more than 10% thats kinda a universal rule, too much and your paint can die back...losing gloss, which might not matter for yours but could have an effect. Also do not change the hardner to paint ratio leave it as is.

As far as the pressure it varys between guns and gun types. My harbor freight HVLP (purple one) needed 55psi, my annest iwata needs 15 psi for recomended spray pressure, and my sata RP clear gun needs 35 psi.....so I would say 40 would be a safe bet...more air pressure seems to break up the paint more for me, but past a point makes no differance and makes more overspray....hope this makes sense.

I still think your putting it on to light by either not enough material or moving to fast, a common newbie mistake....that I had for awile too. HVLP guns move fairly slow compared to conventional guns.

Try pulling the trigger in (no air/paint) and unscrew the materiel knob, your trigger should be moving back with each turn...keep turning untill the trigger stops moving back, thats full throttle and will not add any more material, now turn the knob 3/4 turn in and try that, it seems to be a good place to start.

Now take a sheet of white masking paper and tape it on a wall and hold the nozzle 6in away (measure) and cycle the trigger in and out real quick, it should leave a cigar shaped center with overspray around that, you want your "cigar" to be 6in. across with the gun 6in away. if the paint is dripping turn in the material knob or move fast when you paint....that all comes down to how your style is.

Now you should be set up correctly

let me know how it works out.

·
AcrophobiA CEN-CAL
1,893 Posts
JamieZ said:
I think thats what is happening with my paint. I did have the pressure up around 60 psi so maybe i should drop it down to 40 or so. I didn't really know what orange peel was until a just saw a picture of it and thats kinda what my paint looks like. Is it a good idea to use a reducer in the paint when your only supposed to add hardener to it?
Are you shooting it again? Once you have orange peel you really cant fix it by putting more coats on, especially after its dried. I'm thinking you cant cut it or you'll lose the effect (Contact manufacturer and ask)? If so then you'd be better off color sanding it flat before shooting again then like everyone else is saying see if you can reduce it (Once again call manufacturer and ask) a little bit before the next round.

What size nozzle/needle you running on that gun? Also fan size and distance usually go hand in hand. If your running a 6" pattern then hold the gun 6"s back.... a 8" pattern hold 8"s back. I'd probably not go any farther the 8"s though. Make sure your overlapping correctly as well (probably a 50%).

·
-=-
3,175 Posts
JamieZ said:
Good god, are you using a HVLP at 60psi? I spray between 18-20, no higher than 22.

Turn down the air pressure and turn up the fluid knob.

·
Frame Laying Member
2,068 Posts
are you using a single stage paint? I used single stage for the 1st time today mixed 8 to 4 to 1 or something like that. And it went on ok, it had some orange peal in it, but that's what wet sanding and buffing is for.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts