S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wtf: the paint on the roof of my 94 is fading like bad now i wsh my truck every week and wax it every 2 weeks so i know its not from that ....does anyone know if i can take this over to gm :cuss: and see if they will fix it for free or are they gonna pull this crap...:lol: :finger: :nono: causethey are a bunch of :gay: :sheep:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sounds like ytou need to buff it out, with a real buffer not one that you buy at wal-mart. If that doesn't work then the UV protection in the paint probably didn't work and it'll need repainted.

To buff all you need to do is get a buffer (one that looks like an angle grinder -they also make attachments for drills that work ok, they just suck batteries down like crazy) and some rubbing compound. Look at a auto parts store in the body section (with all the bondo and stuff). Wash the area you'll be working on real good to strip all the wax off- use a degreasing detergent I use regular dishsoap for this (and only this-not regular washing). Just put the rubbing compound on the panel and have at it with the buffer. You'll figure out what method works best for you pretty quick, and follow the directions on the bottle, and you'll be alright, just make sure you stay away from edges and use a quality rubbing compound like 3m or meguiars.

Hope this helps, any other qs just shoot

·
Registered
66 Posts
One other thing I forgot,--- If it seems like its gonna take a hell of a lot of buffing, get some 2000 sandpaper and a sanding block and sand untill you get a dull, even apperance and then go back with the buffer. DO NOT SAND WITHOUT A BLOCK!!! I made that mistake once and ended up with my paint being all wavy. and still stay away from the edges.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanx im gonna have to try that ive got alot of good body shop stuff from doing other projects i didnt think about trying some polishing compound ...maybe whe i get some time away from the track :thumbup: :headbang: :guitar: :beer: :rock: :drinkhaha

1 - 5 of 5 Posts