S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
not a self portrait...
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
next spring/summer(whenver the money comes in), i am going to get my truck repainted. the paint is all chipped and is spiderwebbing all over the hood.:cry: its a 94 regular cab, and its black. i started thinking wether i should get it painted black, or metallic silver. i painted some parts inside metallic silver, and i think it might look cool. on the downside i cant afford much more than a $400 paintjob(maaco) and they wont paint the engine compartment, between the bed and cab, door jams, and im not sure if they will paint the door handles or tailgate handle. what do you think i should do, leave it black and hard to keep clean, or change it to metallic silver but have some black still hanging around??? :confused:

·
drag~N~spark
9,530 Posts
they will paint that stuff u mention, but it will cost more. like 50 per door jam, 100 for under hood, and 50 for between the bed and cab. thats what i was quoted a while back when i was thinkin of gettin it a diferent color. now im stayin w/ stock paint color

·
Registered
224 Posts
keep it black BUT....

Don't get it painted at Maaco, have you ever see their paintjobs? they look like sh-t. I realize not everyone can afford a nice paint job(I know if I couldn't do it, I wouldn't pay for it) but if your truck is fairly nice, youre gonna make it look like some heap you bought at an e-z credit use car lot. Here is a suggesion I have had to anyone who can't afford a nice paint job: Take the money, and go take an auto paining class at the local community colege. they usually let you bring in your own vehicle to work on. You can learn somehing, and have a much betterpaintjob than a Maaco or an Earl Scheib. I just dont want to see anybdy ruin something decent.

·
bagged after winter
2,721 Posts
I agree that Maaco can destroy a nice ride, but have you gotten any other price quotes? how bad is it looking? can't you get it clear coated and buffed?

·
Registered
224 Posts
unfortunately....

getting it clearcoated costs as much as a pint job. the prep work is just as involved as painting, and to have a truck basecoated before clearing-especially black-is probably the lowest expense of the entire job.

·
not a self portrait...
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my paint is pretty bad. i found out in 94 (my year) the black paint on the hood and roof were deffective. i asked the dealership if they could help me out, but they said no. the roof is starting to crack and peal, and the hood looks like there are spider webs all over it. it looks horrible! i tried many, many times buffing it out but = no good. :cry:

·
little pink pink
5,036 Posts
I am going to paint my first gen this spring..this will be the firts paint job that I will have done...I am not scared I feel that I can do a good job..otherwise I would not attempt it...but the worst that can happen is that I have to sand it down and take it somewhere...I got my paint for free so really I have nothing to lose..but I feel that I can do it...I have primered trucks before and I just don't think that I go wrong.

·
0 Posts
Has anyone gotten just straight qoutes? I wanna know how mcuh it would cost to change from red to silber on a standard cab non-macco job.

·
I rape little boys
1,329 Posts
yea ...a body guy at work and I are gonna dive into the body work ...next week...(hopefully) and......then it goes to my dad buddy...who paints cars for restoratin and show....he is gonna paint it for free...b/c i am doin all teh prep work....and all ihave to do is buy paint. clear coat, and hardener...about $250...on a good day..ai am stayin with the stock color....onlt thing that get painted inside is...the...door sill...cause they are shabby...but..i am doin all the taping and all...soo it should look sweet...then a guy is hopefully gonna do some airbrushing for me....pretty cheap...but i think i might pass on the airbrushing though
but don't go to macco...over priced..and ****ty job....believe me....."nobody does it like macco" and they are right....if you want a good job...go to Bruces......or and idependant..that you have seen their work....
Good luck
Kenny

1 - 11 of 11 Posts