S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my exhaust if about 95% done and I needed some motivation so I decided to start the truck. I have started the truck about 10 times in the last week or so, every time it had a real rough idle. I noticed last week that all the cylinders were not the same temp (touching the exhaust header). I confirmed this today with an infrared temp sensor. It appears that #2 and #3 cylinders are roughly 300 degrees while the other six cylinders are 100 degrees (initial startup, not operating temp). It barely idles and shuts off right away if I don't give it a little bit of gas.

I pulled the codes tonight and came up with a P1336 code initially. Seems to be a Crankshaft Position issue. Then after another startup and code recheck, I pulled P1336 and P0106 codes.

From the reading I have done, it looks like you need a scanner tool to have the computer relearn the crankshaft position. Has anyone had any luck in the relearn process by holding the brake down in Park when the engine is at operating temp?

I would like to avoid bringing my truck into the shop considering it would have to be trailered :rant: Or is this something that can be programmed into the computer?

This swap has been fighting me every step of the way. There is literally nothing on this swap that is plug and play for me. Everything I have done has been modified in some way. I probably just need to take a break from this project and enjoy the summer weather. Sorry for the rant.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
The crank relearn is no big deal, it can be done later.
I'd check to see if you have some gummed up injectors. It is real common on these engine. When you have it running, try tapping on the injectors with a screwdriver or something and see if they don't start to clear up on those bad cylinders.

I had a 4.8L engine here that was sitting for about 8 months or so, and every single injector was so clogged I couldn't even get them to clear. Swapped all of them out, and it ran fine.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will try tapping on the fuel injectors, thanks for the tip Jared.

I need to do some research on the HP Tuners. Are there any gains for stock engines?

Black X, this is a completely stock engine from the bone yard, donor is a 2002 Avalanche with a 5.3L. I wanted to cam it but I figured I would just get it on the road and dependable before I start mucking around with other things.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just ordered the HP Tuners Suite. Hopefully it will show up sooner than later :haha:

Any tips for cleaning fuel injectors if the tapping on the side technique doesn't work? It might be kind of expensive replacing all of them.

2,277 Posts
I just ordered the HP Tuners Suite. Hopefully it will show up sooner than later :haha:

Any tips for cleaning fuel injectors if the tapping on the side technique doesn't work? It might be kind of expensive replacing all of them.
Did you get Pro or standard? Injector service is best done by someone who knows what they are doing.

you can try running the bottled cleaner through the tank as well.

·
ls1 junkie
292 Posts
Put a can of seafoam in the tank, maybe even 2 cans so its a stonger mix. that stuff is a pretty good cleaner. Sounds like your not running on all cyl's, i would definitly look into injectors first. Also, did you do your wiring yourself?

·
Good Bye SonomaST
7,145 Posts
you can pull the injectors out, carefully remove the o-rings and let them sit in some sea foam for about 15 minutes, just the injector end.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Put a can of seafoam in the tank, maybe even 2 cans so its a stonger mix. that stuff is a pretty good cleaner. Sounds like your not running on all cyl's, i would definitly look into injectors first. Also, did you do your wiring yourself?
Nope, CP Wiring harness here. I picked up a can of Sea Foam today. I forgot about this stuff, I have used it on a few snowmobiles in the past with good luck.

91sonomast said:
you can pull the injectors out, carefully remove the o-rings and let them sit in some sea foam for about 15 minutes, just the injector end.
I will try that as well if the little tappidy tap tap trick doesn't work. Napa wants $130 per injector for new ones. I can't see spending $1k on stock injectors.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I started working on the truck again tonight. I put a can of Sea Foam in the tank and tried tapping on the fuel injectors like suggested, no change in exhaust temps or idle quality. It's too hot to work on the truck any longer tonight. I will pull the injectors in a couple of days to see if I can clean them up.

QUESTION = Would a P1336 error code cause the truck to idle like crap, like its running on 2 cylinders?

:rant:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does anyone know what fuel injectors the stock 2002 Chevy 5.3L's Avalanches are rated at? I'm possibly looking at buying some fuel injectors from Racetronix. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
takes 2 balls in our game
5,666 Posts
Here at this point is where the swap gets to everyone!....breath--- breath...No, dont smash it with the hammer

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Here at this point is where the swap gets to everyone!....breath--- breath...No, dont smash it with the hammer

Isn't that the truth!!! It didn't help that my neighbor came over last night and says "you know, if you just brought your truck to the dealer they could make it run faster than the 4 months you took to build it."

Black X said:
24 lbs/hr
Thanks Black X

I'm looking at these injectors http://www.racetronix.com/GM1255894.html Anybody have experience with them? Does anyone have any other websites suggestions for buying new injectors?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts