S-10 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grr. I'm so mad right now. About a week ago, my check engine light came on and it was a P0440(Evaporative Emissions Control System Failure). Well, I tried the injector/engine cleaner you poor in the tank and a new gas cap to see it that was it. Erased the code, drove it around and a day or so later, it came on. I then decided to just take it in to PepBoys because I don't know much when it comes to Emissions and how they work other than O2 sensors, cats, etc. $400 later, they replaced the vapor canister purge solenoid, "fuel rail system cleaning", replaced fule filter, and replaced the evaporation control canister. My truck runs just fine and has no problems at all other than the SES light coming on. And I'm driving home tonight and the damn thing comes back on. Needless to say, I'm focking pissed. And their "emissions tech" is not there so I'm going to take it back tomorrow. Anyone know what else could be the problem? Thanks for any help,
Adam

·
NTBSSHEVN
9,248 Posts
Yea u need to check all the lines that are run for EVAP system. A small crack will set the code. I was looking up the code number on my dealerships SI and there are a ton of things it said it could be.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Just got the same code on my wife's Impala, changed the air filter and it went away. Any little thing can set that code off such as a dirty air filter, fouled sparkplug or loose gas cap. Why would you pay pep boys $400 when other places will read the codes for free?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just got mine scanned today and it showed that code. But I know it's because of a rotted vaccume line, the line going to the evap canister was split in half... heh Check 'em.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't pay $400 to find out what code was showing. I did that with my scanner. When it comees to emissions parts, I don't have a clue what does what other than o2 sensors and cats. I just got my truck back and they said it was just a line that had come loose and they put it back in.

·
NTBSSHEVN
9,248 Posts
eugenen said:
Just got the same code on my wife's Impala, changed the air filter and it went away. Any little thing can set that code off such as a dirty air filter, fouled sparkplug or loose gas cap. Why would you pay pep boys $400 when other places will read the codes for free?
Why in the world would a dirty airfilter set an EVAP code. Don't make any sence to me.

Do what I said and check all the lines and make sure you gas cap is tight. We have a machine at work that put nitrogen into the lines and thats how we check for leaks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have an issue concerning the P0440 code
my 2003 s10 2.2 throws this code but it can do it as early as a few miles and this last time it took over 200 miles so mine is very intermittent any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
P0440 means the fuel tank or lines has a leak in them, and the PCM does not see the expected vacuum when the fuel system test occurs. 442 is a "small leak" detected. So I guess this one is bigger.

Any number of things could be leaking.

Check:
Gas cap o-ring.
Gas cap vent for sealing.
Vapor pipe under clamp on tranny bolt, passenger side for a hole.
Purge valve should seal when not energized. (Lower block, right)
Vent valve should seal when energized. (Rear crossmember above spare tire.)
Rubber lines on either side of purge valve.
Rubber line to vent valve.
Test vapor pressure sensor for proper voltage at 1 Bar (gas cap off).

There is a test port on the purge line that sticks up above the intake manifold. VERY low regulated pressure can be applied to the system here. There should be a label that states the max pressure to be appied. Apply this pressure and use soap bubbles.

·
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ &#
34,617 Posts
My 98 4dr Blazer had the code for years. There's this sensor on top of the intake manifold and sometimes the valve gets stuck. Pretty sure that's what the problem was. Anyway after researching it I found out it was just for emissions and it wouldn't hurt the engine or gas mileage so I never bothered on spending the $40 just for the light to go off. I just kept clearing it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had that code in my 2000. I chased it for a while with the smoke machine and it turns out the canister vent solenoid under the bed next to the fuel tank was stuck open. Swapped it out and no more code. I don't know if this will fix your issue but it's something to check.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
12 Participants
hughjd
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing