S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Rice Eating Machine!!!
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a question about the Oxygen sensor's on my 96 S10 SS. I have put a total of three of them in my truck so far and now my check engine light is on again! I am assuming that it is once again an oxygen sensor. How many O2 sensor's are there on these V6 vortec engines. Is there a problem with my truck that is causing me to go through these sensor's? Any info anyone can give me or similar situations that people have been in please let me know.

Thanks

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
I have it from a Nissan Master Mechanic that the OBD equipped cars and truck are really sensitive to sulpher in the gas. He says that Amoco (BP) ultimate is the best gas to run in a vehicle. My wife's Saturn pops the light all the time unless I use Amoco (BP) gas. Try it and see what happens!

Rick

·
Rice Eating Machine!!!
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the gas tip! I am in Canada and we don't have those gas stations up here but our highest octane fuel is Sunoco. That's what you mean right a high octane fuel?

As for the MaF mod could be, but I've put all three sensor's in the truck before doing that mod. This is the fourth time the light has come on.

Thanks guys

Aaron

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Not Octane~

My friend the mechanic says that it is the sulfer content in the gas that destroys the O2 sensors, not octane. BP's gas is either sulfer free or very low sulfer. But just to make sure that the problem is the O2 sensor you should get code scanned. Then if it is the O2 sensor.... call the customer service numbers of some of your local gas stations and ask them what the sulfer content of their gas is.....hell I'd as to talk with one of the chemists and get the good info!

Rick

·
Rice Eating Machine!!!
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have not yet run a code scanner. Is this something I can do myself?

·
4-Door Blazin'
81 Posts
Go to your local performance shop, and see if they have any sensor "Dummies".
These thing go between the sensor and the socket, and will make your sensors read clear all the time!

A shope here in Winnipeg has these things, if you can't find some PM me I'll help you out.:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Which sensor is it? You can get a dummy for the after cat one, but I dont believe that they have one for before the cat...I think you can get the after cat one from Summit...its only like $40!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is it not possible to check the codes yourself without a tool? :confused: Most cars that I have owned allow you to do a series of steps to get the OBD to tell you the code. On my 300ZX, I can access the OBD, turn a screw while the inginition is on (not turning over the engine), then my check engine blinks at different rates of speed. The first set of blinking are slow, which indicate the 10's digit. The next set of blinking are fast, which indicate the 1's digit. 5 slow blinks followed by 3 fast blinks is a code of 53, which means passenger side oxygen sensor is bad.

There is something similar on the mini-van, except all I do is use the ignition key.

I just got the truck so I don't know much about it. I'm gonna hate taking it to a dealer just to read the codes. :(

·
Registered
30 Posts
You have 4 sencers one at each header one before and after the cat. just becaus eyou changed the sencer dont mean the light will go out it has to learn you changed it if you want you can take out fuse number 9 and 10 and it will clear all the codes just leave them out for a few mins

·
Registered
132 Posts
Wrong! Can't do that.

2k1phatblazer said:
Go to your local performance shop, and see if they have any sensor "Dummies".
These thing go between the sensor and the socket, and will make your sensors read clear all the time!
You can only use that for the sensor after the cat. All the O2S before the cat are intergal in fuel delivery. The computer constantly adjust short and long term fuel trims which control injector pulse width.

Hey My1stTruck, his truck is OBD2 and you have to use a scanner unlike OBD1 which you can ground the A and B terminal and use the flashing SES light to read codes.

·
4-Door Blazin'
81 Posts
OK...as far as I know there is no sensor after my cat. Actually I'm sure of this as I was there when my exhaust got done (I got a cat-back). This is why when you get a cat-back exhaust it does not trip any sensors.

My .02

·
Registered
317 Posts
hey guys, i had my cat cut out, and now i get the check engine light..... odviously its the sensor after the cat, but if i'm correct, that one only checks for change, and the other 2 before the cat regulate air/fuel right?????? so could i unplug it to fix the light problem, or do i HAVE to get that sensor dummy?????
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
is that the simulator plug???
i just went to ramchargers and they dont have any for my truck but there're like 70 dollars. then u got the little plug for the whole that's 20 bucks.
does anyone know where i can get that sensor simulator for my 2001 for cheaper?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts