S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up everyone,

Im having an overheating problem. This is the second time this has happened so I'm starting from the beginning again but have some questions.

My 83 2.8 v6 started overheating a few days ago. So far i changed the radiator cap and the thermostat and it still overheats. Ive also checked for a leak with a tool I rented from the parts store and it holds 15psi with no move in the needle.

My plan is to do a cooling system flush next but have a few questions on how exactly to do it. Ive watched a bunch of youtube videos and see people using a garden hose to do it and I see some people using distilled water. I also see some where people use a flush cleaner. Can you guys give me a rundown of how to do it right please? I was also wondering on how to get the excess water out, especially if you use non distilled water?

If this doesn't work then Ill move from there. If you guys have any other suggestions or comments just let me know.

Thanks,
Yowakawaka(y)

·
Administrator
21,742 Posts
Prestone Flush & Fill kit will take care of the flushing part. Prestone Super Cleaner will take care of the chemical end. There are directions on both packages...follow them to the letter. Several gallons of distilled water for the final flush. A new thermostat in the factory recommended temp along with the coolant of your choice will finish the job.Make sure the radiator fins are clean and straight, and there is no deb res blocking the radiator.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whats up @Rhotpursuit

I saw some videos where those flush and fill kits are used. I don't like how you have to cut it into a line. Is there another way to do it that I can do that is just as effective?

·
Administrator
21,742 Posts
What's the problem cutting a line? I've been using these kits since the 70's without any problems. The nice thing about the kit is it allows the air to be forced out from the bottom up when yo fill the radiator.

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,308 Posts
What's the problem cutting a line? I've been using these kits since the 70's without any problems. The nice thing about the kit is it allows the air to be forced out from the bottom up when yo fill the radiator.
Agreed. Those kits are awesome. They ought to come stock if you ask me. Every time I service a cooling system I get one of those and put it on. They cause no problems whatsoever.

·
Administrator
21,742 Posts
Once the water is running clear, you can do the final flush with distilled water in one gallon jugs. Pour it in the radiator with the "T" uncapped. Once that is done, start pouring coolant in the radiator. The coolant will push the water out of the "T". I usualluse just short of 2 gallons of coolant. Don't forget to clean and refill the overflow tank.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited by Moderator)
I just put in a new Start Superstat 192 so ill just leave it in there. I won't have time today. I'll be doing it Wednesday as long as its not freezing cold outside. I did get the flush kit and flush cleaner.

What hose do I connect the T fitting to? I think the two hoses in the photos below are to the heater core. One leads to the water pump and the other leads to the intake manifold.
Photo 1.JPG photo2.JPG photo3.JPG
Photo 1.JPG
photo2.JPG
photo3.JPG

·
Registered
4 Posts
Why not disconnect the hoses from the heater core and insert T between them to do your flush..that way you will not plug up your heater core with the crap you are going to flush out of the engine a rad.

·
Administrator
21,742 Posts
The core still has to be flushed. No sense re-inventing the wheel....not to mention the hoses are different sizes.

·
the new guy
699 Posts
I would disconnect the heater core and flush it on its own after I did the engine and radiator. just stick the hose on one of those lines and set the hvac slider to heat.

you will probably see some crazy stuff come out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts