S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Compliance!
5,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive already decided to flush my system out very well and fill with green, as well as drop to a 180* stat, my real question is my temp gauge will be extremely high at a certain time and im asking those with exp if a certain problem is causing this such as intake mani gaskets/ stuck thermo or what. ill drive with normal temp, idle at normal temp (able to walk away for a few and return with no issues), but when it gets to normal temp and i shut it off then come back to it after a few minutes and simply put the key in the on position the gauge will skyrocket to well above 220, and at one point pinged with CEL. id let it cool down then check later. after the engine is shut off could the coolant be stuck in the block somehow(stuck thermo?) thus heating it up giving high readings? for the last several months ive noticed slightly higher operating temps but nothing harmful, figured my system needed service and id get to it when i could, which is asap now, just figured id try to find the culprit. thanks in avdance for any info on this.

·
Registered
564 Posts
If coolants not flowing - and it won't be with engine off - the fluid in block has no place to go. It will absorb heat from engine and become very hot. This is normal and would only be a problem if the temps do not fall rapidly after engine start.

·
Compliance!
5,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
understandable, which they do drop once i get it running. but thats once i get it moving and some airflow in there. just never happened before, so i figured there was a problem when it hit red hot, thank you however.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
You probably just didn't notice till you decided to look into the coolant system, which was probably right after you read about dex-cool sludge. Your truck is likely fine.

·
Compliance!
5,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
bump

i guess my overheating may have been a warning, my LIM gasket went out on me tonight, saw/heard the gurgling at the seal. searched and found some helpful stuff as far as gettin it fixed, gonna use those felpro gaskets, flush, new thermo. while my manifold is off is there anything else anyone recommends i do while its all opened up? dont want to have to take it off again so i figured id ask before i get started. thanks

is this the correct part number for the premium felpro gaskets everyone uses? FEL-MS95817 (summit)

TIA

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
whatever fel pro blue self sealing intake gaskets that they have are fine work great no problems ever with them.

not really too much else to do while the intake is off

heck EGR crossover exhaust passages in the head, clean out if carboned up badly

use black RTV gasket maker across front and rear of block under intake, instead of the end seals that come with the intake gasket set

a standard thermostat of 195 temp rating would be recommended

replace the heater core hose quick disconnect fitting in the intake manifold rear pass side corner of intake while its off the engine

if it hasnt been replaced already

new one would be steel one

unlike the original plastic or zinc/pot metal garbage

have fun

·
Compliance!
5,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
whatever fel pro blue self sealing intake gaskets that they have are fine work great no problems ever with them.

not really too much else to do while the intake is off

heck EGR crossover exhaust passages in the head, clean out if carboned up badly

use black RTV gasket maker across front and rear of block under intake, instead of the end seals that come with the intake gasket set

a standard thermostat of 195 temp rating would be recommended

replace the heater core hose quick disconnect fitting in the intake manifold rear pass side corner of intake while its off the engine

if it hasnt been replaced already

new one would be steel one

unlike the original plastic or zinc/pot metal garbage

have fun
yea its gonna be a blast haha. thanks for the info.

·
General L33
1,950 Posts
I usually use grey rtv on the intake, it sets up firmer than the black rtv.. I think it works better for holding the intake in place and resisting leaks.

get a can of brake cleaner, use it to clean up all gasket mating areas and where you're putting rtv, it's a great degreaser and allows everything to seal better.

·
Compliance!
5,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
im buying my gasket set tonight, may be a dumb question but new to the LIM gasket job, would the 29.99 set be enough for the job or the 84.00 set? i imagine the 29.99 is but wanted a double check. thank you

fastr68 - where can i pick up a steel replacement of the quick connect fitting on that heater hose?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts