S-10 Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Be fore you go buying a rad, is your shroud complete and installed? Including the little side pieces at the side of the radiator covering the gap to the rad support. You want as much air as possible to go thru, not around, the radiator and fan.
A stock 4.3 should be able to sit quite a while in hot weather w/o overheating with all the stock components working. 1000's of them do every day in CA, FL, and AZ w/o problems.
But that's not what the cool kids want.
On the s10/ Sonoma / Blazer/Jimmy 4.3l if you don't make sure the bottom of the shroud is locked in that fan will eat it. I just had that happen on my blazer didn't make 100% sure it was locked in right and the fan tore the bottom of that shroud into pieces. So that's why I changed over to electric fan today.

·
Engineer
2003 S10 4.3L 4wd Crew Cab
97 Posts
When I had this problem, it was my fan clutch. The water pumps aren't very likely to fail. If you replace the water pump, go with the high performance model 130-1820P. Very much doubt the rad needs replacing as I am running a lot of hot components and hydro steer and never had temp problems. So check your fluid levels, maybe do a coolant flush as the heater core can sometimes get clogged, check your shroud, and check your fan clutch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2000 gmc Sonoma 4wd 4.3l v6 and it only overheats when Im stopped for period of time like at a busy drive through with the ac on, anybody know what this could be? I was thinking water pump maybe?
I also had this issue and I changed out the thermostat to from a 195 to a 180 and still had the same issue, so I changed out the clutch fan, which did work, but I put in a high flow electric fan and it it seemed to fix the issue. 😊 Hopefully it continues. Good luck

·
Registered
68 Posts
My 1999 2.2l S10 had the water pump vanes completely gone. No leak, bearing good, just the pump vanes no longer existed. Other wise I agree to first check the fan clutch when hot.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Be fore you go buying a rad, is your shroud complete and installed? Including the little side pieces at the side of the radiator covering the gap to the rad support. You want as much air as possible to go thru, not around, the radiator and fan.
A stock 4.3 should be able to sit quite a while in hot weather w/o overheating with all the stock components working. 1000's of them do every day in CA, FL, and AZ w/o problems.
the fan shroud is busted up a bit from when the fan came off while I was driving so I probably should start with that, ya I’m in Florida so it gets pretty hot and humid

21 - 25 of 25 Posts