S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this 94 Jimmy. I'm loving having a 1st gen again. :D

It's got the overhead console without the digital readout, and I'd kind of like to put one in that has the digital display.

I'd like the temp and direction display, but what I'd REALLY like is the trip functions, such as range, fuel economy, etc. etc.

Were these trip functions available in the 94's, or was it strictly a temp/direction display? If they did have the trip functions, how difficult would the installation be to have access to all the functions of the display?

Someone on ebay is selling instructions on installing an overheadconsole, and claims that if you're installing one in a 94 or older S truck, you need one with an on/off switch as opposed to the one with the "Mode" switch, because you can't get it to function properly.

Anyone have any info on this??

·
Registered
88 Posts
so a search on here and dont buy any instructions off of ebay, there is a how to for installing the over head console on this site

·
Never-Ending Project
387 Posts
The console I put in mine is from a '97. It only has temp/compass on it. My friend's '02 has these functions, though. I can only imagine how much fun it would be to wire that up.

·
Kramerica Industries
342 Posts
Looks pretty clean blades! Wish my first gen had a perfect body!
Did you ever get rid of your truck?

Anyway, I know a 2000 digital console only has temp and direction, no more advanced functions.

I also think matt is right...how the hell would you wire the think to get the data it needs to count trip miles or calculate MPG?

·
Registered
88 Posts
yeah there are probably loads of exra sensors and shat that you would need to wire the mpg and stuff, i know my caddy has loads moe wires and stuff running from the tbi than my jimmy, and im assuming this extra stuff is because of the digital fuel injection which is for the fuel data center

·
Insane Network Engineer
5,965 Posts
peteyz24 said:
yeah there are probably loads of exra sensors and shat that you would need to wire the mpg and stuff, i know my caddy has loads moe wires and stuff running from the tbi than my jimmy, and im assuming this extra stuff is because of the digital fuel injection which is for the fuel data center
No, the reason the one with the miledge/trip won't work properly is because it requires the serial signal from an ODBII ECM... His only carries the ODBI serial signal which those comps can't understand. (It's only one wire for that)

·
Registered
88 Posts
ok my bad

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Appreciate the info. I'm a little less anxious to hook one up if I can't have the trip functions on it like my wife's 99 has. I thought maybe the trip functions were also available on the older models, but I guess not.

Hey BlazerFRS, thanks for the kind words! The body is really solid on it. Not perfect, but as close as I've seen in these parts in awhile. Just got done hooking up a remote starter on it today, and got my snowplow on it also.

As far as my truck, someone is supposed to pick it up this weekend. Can't believe how long it took to sell that thing. The turbo is great, but that kind of modification scares most people away from it. It's almost as if it reduced the value of it. As long as it's gone this weekend, I'll be happy. But if something happens and the guy doesn't come thru, I'm taking the turbo off of it and dropping the price to $4500.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts