S-10 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i need some opinions. i can get an Alpine HU installed sometime this week. only problem is, I dont have my RCA's to have run when my HU is installed, so when i get those and my amps, ill have to have the HU pulled and installed. reason im not doing the HU install myself is that i have NO idea how to get the dash on the car apart, and i have yet to find an adapter wiring harness, and i dont want to try and splice the harness myself. i can either get the HU installed now and worry about the RCA's later, OR buy the HU, antenna adapter, install kit, and wait till i get all my components together, then have it all installed at once. what do you all think i should do?

·
Captain Obvious
19,352 Posts
If it doesn't make a difference to you I'd say wait till you have all of it. The more times you take shit apart, the more chance there is of breaking something and/or your panels becoming sluts (mounting gets loose and squeaks after you keep taking it all apart).

·
12,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
right. thats what ill do, i can wait another month and have everything done right. i think im just going to have the HU installed and the RCA's dropped down behind the dash, and do the rest myself, so i can learn (1st real install). i went thru 20 mins of expaining to Dad why i couldnt use OSB (heavy-duty variant of plywood) for the sub box, and why i needed MDF. ill be doing the box next week...hopefully i wont need a lot of trunk space when i go back to college.

·
12,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its getting RE subs, so i want the box to be perfect for the subs. also want to do it myself (more time to play with power tools and bondo in the shop!).

·
12,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cover the screw holes, smooth the edges, and to cover any dents/holes/irregularities in the box.

·
12,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i was thinking wood putty, but saw in som other threads people use bondo for those, but i have plenty of putty, so ill use that. i tried sanding MDF once and it didnt turn out so hot, but i never thought of using a router and rounding the edges off...3/4" MDF, 1" MDF as the front panel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts