S-10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Store bought ain't custom
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there everyone. I'm looking for an intake for my 2001 Sonoma 2.2L. I've seen a few around and I was wondering if anyone who has one would like to tell me something about them. The ones I have seen are the K&N, the STS, Volant, FBI mini, and Weapon R. If you have one of those I would love to hear from you. Thanks

Thomas
SLO, CA

·
Registered
217 Posts
about the only advantage you will get from any of them is from the k&n one which is most likelygoing to have a carb number, other wise most intakes in general will give you the same hp and torque gains so go for the one that costs less to save you some money you may want to check out www.truckperformance.com pretty easy web site to get around on you may find some deals there:thumbup:

·
Registered
920 Posts
I like my volant. nice snappy response. Its a little loud but it sounds great when your really on the throttle. It adds a little bit of power. Makes response a little snappier buts its hard to tell i have a chip too

·
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm mostly asking about this because of the giganti price differences between the different intakes. The K&N is about $230, the STS one is $175, the Weapon R is $240, The FBI mini is $140, the Volant is $245. The high price on the K&N I can understand because it is a name brand and because it is smog legal. it looks like the Volant might be smog legal too. The other ones don't say anything about it. I'm leaning toward the FBI mini intake because it is the cheapest and it looks really cool. I wish I could get the K&N, but I'm just a poor college student with no money. however, if someone was willing, I would be more than happy to accept charity. :p Anyone else got anything the want to say about these intakes?

Thomas
SLO, CA

·
Registered
43 Posts
cheap intake

i purchased an APC intimidator intake from advanced autoparts for $120 and that included everything. Sounds good and runs good. hope this helped.

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
I got a volant used for 90 bucks I'm fairly happy with it but......, me and a friend are actually MAKING a true CAI, since I cut out my fog light holes, we're placing a plastic welded collecter there and then a big fat open element in it, then running tubing (3" something) we haven't figured that part out yet we're checking it all tomorrow.....and then straight up to the TB......Muahahaha...I will be happy with it cause it will be custom and probably better than the volant....

Caleb

·
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Super cool dad to the rescue. K&N is on the way. Woo Hoo!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
CAI

summerwolf i also plan to put on a tube to run to my open filter for a CAI. if your looking for a 3" something my friend made one for his truck and used PVC platic pipe. you can get it at a lumberyard or hardware store. i was going to use a pipe bender and make it out of exhaust pipe but its metal and the heat from the engine could get it hot over time. he said his made out of that PVC doesnt get very hot and would supply you with alittle colder air.hope this helped.

·
Paint Needing Mofo
639 Posts
imconfused said:
Super cool dad to the rescue. K&N is on the way. Woo Hoo!!
cool! you'll be happy with the K&N... the IAT sensor is kinda tricky, but its not too bad to get in. have fun! :thumbup:

·
"GOT RICE?"
271 Posts
I have an APC intake too, and I'm really happy with it. There is a pic on my site if you wanna see what it looks like.

·
Registered
893 Posts
if you DO have trouble getting it in..try some vaseline if you got any..i dont think i had that much trouble but it always help LUBRICATE for easier pentration....lol:D :thumbup:

·
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey skaling, What kind of driving lights did you install in your bumper? i just bought a set of Hella FF75s and I was wondering how you got those in there. I had a plan, but the lights are a little deeper than I though and they run into the frame member behind there. any tips?

·
"GOT RICE?"
271 Posts
I don't remember the name of them..I put them in when I first got my truck. I cut a couple of those slots out then basically put them as deep as I could. Then I marked where the would mount. At first I just mounted the brackets, then I added the actuall light housing. Made it a little easier. There is only a little space in between the frame and the back of the light.

·
"GOT RICE?"
271 Posts
RawRedX said:
if you DO have trouble getting it in..try some vaseline if you got any..i dont think i had that much trouble but it always help LUBRICATE for easier pentration....lol:D :thumbup:
oh really..have you ever tried KY Jelly??

·
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got my K&N installed this weekend. It sounds so cool! Feels a lot better too. I like! =)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts